If you’ve recently upgraded to the newest iPhone model from an iPhone 8 or lower, you might realize there have been some significant changes in the design, mainly the removal of the Home button. But apart from changing the look of the device, this design element also changed the way some features and operations function, making it confusing for new users. So, if you want to know how to turn off your new iPhone 11 (these steps could also work for 11 Pro/11 Pro Max/X/XR/XS models) here is how you can do just that:
You can turn off your iPhone 11 using the side buttons in two different ways:
- Press and hold the Side button and either Volume button simultaneously, until the Slide to Power Off slider appears.
- Drag the slider, and then wait 30 seconds for your phone to shut down.
- Press the Volume Up button quickly, and immediately follow it by pressing the Volume Down button.
- Then, press the Side button, and hold it until the Slide to Power Off slider appears.
The SOS slider won’t appear when using this method, making it a good option if you’re anxious about accidentally triggering an emergency call.
Note: While you can cancel both of these methods with the Cancel option at the bottom, you will need to enter your passcode to access your iPhone afterward.
- On the Home screen, press Settings, and then go to General.
- At the bottom of the General page, press Shut Down.
- Drag the Slide to Power Off slider, and turn off your phone.
Turning the iPhone on
The method for turning your iPhone back on hasn’t changed. Simply press and hold the Side button until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
Restarting your phone using the side buttons is quite similar to shutting it down with the second method mentioned above:
- Press the Volume Up button quickly once, and immediately follow it by pressing the Volume Down button quickly.
- Press and hold the Side button. Keep holding the button down even when the Slide to Power Off slider appears, up until you see the Apple logo on the screen.
Note: Be cautious when using this method. If you don’t press the buttons in this exact order, you might accidentally activate the SOS feature and call emergency services automatically.
Restart your device with AssistiveTouch
A handy Accessibility feature, AssistiveTouch allows you to perform a number of tasks without pressing buttons, including restarting your iPhone:
- To enable the AssistiveTouch feature, go to the Settings app on the Home screen, and press Accessibility.
- On the Accessibility page, press Touch, and then go to AssistiveTouch.
- Press the AssistiveTouch slider, turning it green, to enable the AssistiveTouch feature.
- Press Customize Top Level Menu to add the Restart option to AssistiveTouch.
- You can replace any option on the Customize Top Level Menu screen with the Restart option. Alternatively, you could add or remove more options with the plus and minus buttons.
- Tap one of the icons to change it, scroll through the available list, and then press Restart to select it. Then, press Done.
- If you want to restart your phone, simply press the AssistiveTouch button that’s now on the Home screen, and then press Restart.
- Press Restart again on the confirmation dialog that appears.
Restart your device with Voice Control
With new iOS 13 updates, it’s also possible to restart your phone with Voice Control, completely hands-free. However, if you haven’t used Voice Control before, you need to enable it and set it up first.
Setting up Voice Control
- On the Home screen, press Settings, and then go to Accessibility. Then, press Voice Control.
- On the Voice Control page, press Set Up Voice Control.
You will see a new screen explaining the possible Voice Control options.
- Press Continue.
The following screen will give you examples of sentences you can say when using Voice Control. You might want to read through the list to learn how to use this feature efficiently.
- Press Done.
Once the Voice Control feature is enabled and set up, you will see a blue circular icon with a white microphone next to the time, in the upper-left corner of your screen.
Using Voice Control
- To open Voice Control, simply say “Hey, Siri”, followed by “Turn on Voice Control.”
- To restart your device, say “Reboot Device.” Then, press the Restart button on the confirmation dialogue that appears.
That’s it. Now you know all the simple ways you can turn off or restart your iPhone 11.