Whether you are looking for a solution to a poorly functioning Watch, or you simply want to enjoy all the benefits and perks of the newest operating system, updating the software on your device is always a good idea.
As the latest software update, watchOS 7, is available for Watches Series 3 and up, you might want to check it out and upgrade your own Apple Watch as well. Here are a couple of ways you could do just that:
Method 1: Updating your Watch directly
If your Watch is currently operating on at least the watchOS 6 version of the operating system, you have the option of updating it directly on the device itself. Here’s how:
- Connect your Watch to a secure internet connection.
- Then, press the Settings icon on your Watch.
- Here, go to General, and then select Software Update.
- In case a new update is ready and available for your device, simply press Install and follow the given directions on the screen.
Method 2: Updating your Watch through an iPhone
In case you have an older watchOS version, or you simply find it more convenient to update your device through your phone, you have the option of doing that as well. Here’s how:
- Load the Watch application on your iPhone.
- Press on the My Watch option.
- Here, select General, and then choose Software Update.
- In case a new update is ready and available for your device, you can download it here. You might also need to type in your password to confirm.
Things to keep in mind:
- Regardless of the method you are using, ensure your Watch (and your iPhone) is charged at least 50% before you begin.
- In case you are updating through your iPhone, you might need to update the iOS to the news version as well.
- Keep your Watch and iPhone close together while updating to ensure they are in range.
- Remember, the update can be completed in anywhere from a couple of minutes to an hour. It might be a good idea to commence the update during the night, if possible.
And that’s it; all you need to know about updating your current Apple Watch to the latest version of the operating system.