Even though Facebook might be a great way to connect with friends and share interesting content, it does have some drawbacks, especially if you aren’t particular about the specific configuration options the platform offers.
For instance, unless you have intentionally changed your settings, you might often find that one of your friends has tagged you on comments under certain posts where you didn’t wish to be tagged. Now you could be wondering if there is a way to remove this tag or even prevent such occurrences in the future. Here is a guide that will help:
Table of Contents
How to untag yourself from a Facebook comment on a desktop
To untag yourself from a certain comment when you’re using Facebook on your computer, just follow the simple steps below:
- Open the Facebook website in a browser of your choice, and log in if necessary.
- Click on the down arrow located in the top-right part of the screen. Here, go to Settings & Privacy, and then choose the Activity Log option.
- Under ‘Activity You’re Tagged In’ on the left-hand side, press the ‘Posts and comments you’re tagged in’ option.
- Now, locate the post from which you’d like to remove a tag.
- After the post has been found, press the three dots in the corner. Here, click on the ‘Remove tag’ option.
- Click on the Remove button in the next dialog to untag yourself from this comment.
How to untag yourself from a Facebook comment on a smartphone
If you’re currently utilizing a phone or a tablet, however, you could remove your tags by following these simple steps:
- Open the Facebook app on your device, and log in if necessary.
- Click on the hamburger menu (three horizontal lines) and then press on your name at the beginning of the screen.
- Here, locate the post from which you’d like to remove a tag.
- After the post has been found, press the three dots in the corner. Here, click on the ‘Find Support or Report Comment’ option.
- Next, press the Spam button, and finally, click on ‘Untag Yourself From This Comment’ to remove your tag.
How to change your Facebook tagging settings
If you don’t wish to allow people to tag you on comments any longer, you can change this option in your settings. Here’s how:
- Tap the hamburger menu (mobile) or click on the down arrow (desktop).
- Press the ‘Settings & Privacy’ option, and then select Settings.
- Under the Privacy section, choose the Profile and Tagging option.
- At the bottom of this page, click on both Review options, and toggle reviewing on.
- Now, you will have to accept a tag before it can appear on a post or comment.
And that’s it! By following a couple of simple steps, you can effortlessly remove your tags from any comments on Facebook, or even alter your settings to prevent future tagging.