Antivirus software can often be the reason why you’re not able to install certain programs on your computer successfully, whether it’s a driver, a video game, or another type of application. Similarly, the software can sometimes block your favorite websites and other platforms, often for no apparent reason.
The best solution to this issue is to temporarily turn off your antivirus protection. So, here’s how you can disable Avast, either partially or entirely:
Turning off Avast completely
If you want to temporarily turn off Avast by disabling all shields, then just follow the steps described below. However, it’s important to keep in mind that doing this will also turn off the entire antivirus protection on your computer.
- Step 1 – Go to the Windows Taskbar and find the Avast icon. Right-click on the icon, and then select Avast Shields Control. Here, you can choose one of four options: Disable for 10 minutes, Disable for 1 hour, Disable until computer is restarted, or Disable permanently.
- Step 2 – When Avast asks, confirm your choice by clicking Yes. The antivirus should now be paused for the duration you previously chose.
- Step 3 – If you want to check whether you successfully disabled Avast, simply open its main window. If the status is marked in red, and the message says “All antivirus shields are off”, then everything worked properly.
Note: In order to restore the antivirus protection, simply open the Avast main window and click Resolve. Wait for a couple of seconds, until you see the message saying “You’re protected”.
Disabling specific Avast shields
Sometimes, only disabling a few specific Avast shields should be enough to allow you to access a blocked website or download a necessary file. Here’s how you can do just that:
- Step 1 – From the main Avast window, click on Protection, and then choose Core Shields. Here, you will see a list of all Avast shields.
- Step 2 – Find the shield you want to turn off, and then press the switch located underneath it. You will have four disabling options: for 10 minutes, for 1 hour, until the computer is restarted, or permanently.
- Step 3 – Once the shield has been successfully turned off, the switch will turn red and change to Off, and the message saying “X Shield is now off” will appear.
Note: In order to reactivate the shield, simply tap the switch once again. It will then turn green, and the “You’re protected” message will appear.
Whether you want to disable the whole antivirus protection or just a couple of its shields, both can be done quickly and effortlessly, regardless of the Avast version you use.