So, you’ve created a Facebook Page for your business, brand, community, or self, or perhaps you’ve been made Admin of a Page for which you regularly create and post content, monitor comments, or manage crossposts. You’re probably not doing so thinking that you’re ever going to have to hand over the control of that Page, so why should you need to know how to Transfer a Page to another user?
Well, there are of course many scenarios in which you might just need to. Say, for example, that you’ve created a Facebook Page for a less-tech-savvy friend’s business, and now you need to hand them the reigns. Or, maybe your company, which you started from the ground up, has been bought over by a larger enterprise, and as part of the transaction you are required to transfer control of all web pages and social media profiles to the buyer (it happens more often than you might think!) Maybe you’re just no longer capable or willing to put the time and energy into administering a Page as you once were, and you’d like to set someone new up as Page admin.
No worries, the process of transferring a Facebook Page from one account’s control to another is actually fairly easy. All you have to do is follow these simple steps:
- Open up your preferred browser and navigate to the Facebook website. If prompted, log in to your account (if you are new to Facebook, you’ll have to sign up first, and if you don’t already have a business/brand/community Page, you’ll have to create one of these, too).
- Navigate to the Home page by clicking the house-shaped icon at the top of the site.
- On the left-hand side, scroll down until you find the Pages tab (you may first have to click ‘see more’). Click on the Pages tab. You will see a list of Pages you manage; select the appropriate Page. You will now be directed to the Page’s profile and will begin interacting with Facebook as that Page.
- Under Manage Page on the left-hand side, scroll down and click on Settings.
- When directed to Settings, on the left-hand side, scroll down and click on Page roles.
- On the following screen, the first thing you’ll have to do is to assign a new Admin role. (Note: the person you wish to assign as Admin must first ‘like’ the Page.) Begin typing the person’s name into the box and a list of matches will auto-populate. Select the appropriate name from the list.
- Click the arrow beside the word Editor, then select Admin from the drop-down box.
- Click the Add button.
- The new ‘owner’ of the Page should now have all of the Admin privileges you once enjoyed for that Page. You can now remove yourself as Admin by editing your role (to anything other than Admin) by clicking Edit next to your name, or remove yourself from the Page entirely by ‘unliking’ it.
- Open up the Facebook app on your mobile device. If prompted, login (or sign-up if you’ve yet to create an account and Page).
- Tap the Menu icon (three horizontal bars) at the top-right of the screen.
- Here, beneath your personal profile, you’ll see a list of all the Pages for which you are an admin. Select the Page you wish to transfer.
- Click the Settings icon (cog) in the top-right.
- Select Page roles from the drop-down menu.
- Select Add Person to Page. You will be prompted to re-enter your password.
- Now, type the name of the person you wish to transfer control of the Page to (remember, they have to have first ‘liked’ the Page). Select the correct person from the auto-populated list.
- Now, select Admin and tap Add to finish the process.
- The new ‘owner’ of the Page should now have all of the Admin privileges you once enjoyed for that Page. You can now remove yourself as Admin by clicking on your name and adjusting your role (to anything other than Admin), or remove yourself from the Page entirely by ‘unliking’ it.
And there you have it! It may not seem like the most likely scenario, but the need to transfer ownership of a Page arises more often than you might think, and by following the simple steps listed above, you can quickly and efficiently carry out the transfer.