Facebook Messenger is quite a convenient application, allowing you to stay in touch with friends and family without any additional costs that usually come with text messages. And another advantage Messenger has over texting is the fact that you can see whether a person is currently active before sending a message, which can be especially useful if you’re looking for a prompt reply.
So, if you want to find out how you can tell whether someone is online on Facebook Messenger, simply follow the steps described below, depending on the device you’re using:
Using a mobile device
- Open the Facebook Messenger app on your device, and log into your account if needed.
- In the Menu bar at the bottom of the screen, tap on the People icon.
- A list of your Facebook friends that are currently Active will now appear. Everyone who is currently online on Facebook Messenger will have a green dot next to their profile picture.
Note: Alternatively, you could also use the Search bar at the top of the screen once you open Messenger. Simply type in the name of a specific person to see if they’re online. If they are, a green dot will appear. If not, only their profile picture will show.
Using a computer
- Open a browser of your preference, and go to Facebook. Log into your account if prompted.
- In the right-hand side of the screen, you will see the Chat section, along with a list of friends who are currently active.
- Here, simply scroll to see whether the specific person you are looking for is online. Remember, if they are currently online, a green circle will appear next to their profile picture.
Note: If you wish, you could also manually search for a specific person. Simply click on the magnifying glass icon in the chat section, and type in the name of the person you are looking for. Keep in mind that their active status won’t show in the search results this way; you will have to open the chat with them to see whether the green dot appears.
And that’s it! Seeing whether someone is currently online on Facebook Messenger is as quick and easy as a couple of simple steps.