While every server on Discord has its own specific set of rules, there are still some guidelines everyone has to follow when chatting on this globally popular platform.
If you’ve seen a user break these rules, or you simply find their messages to be morally questionable, you might want to report their conduct to Discord. Here’s how:
Table of Contents
Reporting users on Discord
If a person is spamming, threatening, harassing or abusing someone in a Discord chat, there are certain steps you should take and a set process you need to go through if you wish to report them. Here’s what you have to do:
Step 1: Make sure they’re violating guidelines
You should only report a person if they’re in direct violation of Discord’s community guidelines. Messages and instances that aren’t tolerated on Discord include spam, threats, harassment, as well as sharing certain NSFW images, among others.
If a message doesn’t fall under one of these categories, it might be better to mute or block the person in question, instead of reporting them, or even kick/ban them from a server if you’re the owner or a moderator.
There’s no straightforward “report” button on the Discord desktop app, which means that you will have to go through a lengthy process in order to report a user. Just follow the steps below:
- In the lower-left corner of the screen, click on the gear icon and then choose Appearance.
- Scroll down until you find the Advanced section. Here, you will see a switch located next to Developer Mode. Toggle it on.
- Now, locate the message you want to report and right-click on the username. Press Copy ID and then paste it in a safe location.
- Next, right-click on the message as well, and select Copy ID once more. Paste it in the same safe location.
- Finally, locate the server icon on the left-hand side, and right-click on it. Choose Copy ID for the third time, and paste it in the same safe location as the other two.
Step 3: Send a report
The last step will be to send a report to Discord through their Trust & Safety request center.
Here, you need to choose the type of report you want to make, enter your email address, describe the incident that occurred, and paste all three ID codes you copied into the Description box.
You can also consider sending screenshots of the incident through the Attachments option.
All that’s left to do is send the report, and wait for Discord to resolve the issue.
Reporting on Discord Mobile
Surprisingly, reporting a user on the mobile version of Discord is much simpler compared to the desktop app. All you have to do is long-tap the message in question, and then choose the Report option. There’s no need for any descriptions or ID codes.
However, even though Discord claims they still take these reports just as seriously, you might not actually get a response from support when reporting someone on Discord Mobile.
Note: Considering the fact that deleted messages can’t be found or reported, it would be a good idea to screenshot the message in question before you send a report, in order to have further proof of the incident when corresponding with Discord’s support.