Whether you grew tired of your profile photo, or you simply want to go back to the default Google letter icon, it’s completely natural to wish to change or remove a profile picture from time to time. However, with Google’s constant updates and interface changes, it might be difficult to find these settings if you haven’t changed your photo in a while, or if you were used to changing it through the old Google+ platform.
But even though the method might have changed, removing or updating your profile picture is still a quick and easy process. Here’s how you can change or remove your Google Account profile photo, no matter which device you are using:
Using a PC or laptop
If you have the option of using a computer, this might be the simplest and quickest, if not the only way to remove a profile photo from your Google Account. Just follow these steps:
- On your computer, open your preferred browser, and go to accounts.google.com
- Log into your Google Account, if you’re not already signed in.
- On the left-hand side of the screen, click on Personal Info.
- Once the page loads, scroll to the bottom of the screen to find the Choose what others see section. Here, click on Go to About me.
- At the top of the page, you will see a Basic Info section. Here, click on the Profile Picture option (second one down).
- A new page will now open with profile picture settings.
- To simply remove your profile picture, click the Remove button located under your current photo. Your profile picture will immediately be removed.
- Under your current profile picture, you also have the Change option. You can use this if you want to upload another photo to set as your profile picture, instead of removing it.
Using a smartphone (Android and iPhone)
Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be an option of removing a Google Account profile photo when using a smartphone. However, you can still change your current picture. Here’s how to do it:
- Open the Google app on your smartphone or tablet, and log into your Google Account, if you’re not already signed in.
- In the top-right corner, you will see your current profile picture. Tap it to open the Menu.
- At the top of the Menu, tap on the banner with your name and your profile picture. This will open a drop-down menu.
- Tap on Manage your Google Account, which should be located right under your name.
- Your account page will now load.
- To change your profile picture, simply tap on your current photo. A pop-up will now appear. Press Set profile photo.
- Now, you can choose whether you want to Take a photo or Choose a photo from your gallery.
- After you’ve taken or chosen a satisfactory photo, your profile picture will automatically be updated.
That’s it! With just a few simple steps, you can change or remove your current profile picture on your Google account in a matter of minutes.