Microsoft Excel is still among the most popular data manipulation software, and for a good reason. It offers a wide array of different visualization and analysis tools, one of which is also the ability to display two specific sets of data in one single chart, all in a visually appealing manner.
If you want to learn how to plot multiple sets of data in one graph when using Excel, simply follow the handy guide below:
Plotting multiple sets of data
- Firstly, you will need to select the different data sets which you would like to include in a single graph.
- Next, press the Insert button in the toolbar at the top. Press the small arrow located next to the Charts group, and then choose the Recommended Charts option. This will open a new Insert Chart window.
- Your data will now be displayed within a sample chart, with additional samples of charts located in the sidebar.
- Here, press the All Charts option, select Combo as your preferred type of chart, and then press Clustered Column – Line, which is a recommended option for this type of data collection.
- In the Insert Chart window, select the chart type you’d like to use for each of your data sets.
- Then, choose the Secondary Axis option for the collection of data you’d like to move to this axis.
- Finally, press the OK button to make your chart.
- If you wish, you could also select your new chart to bring up additional tools, such as filters, styles, and elements, that will help you edit the chart to your preferences.
And that’s it; all the necessary steps you need to take in order to plot two or more sets of data in a single graph when using Microsoft Excel.