Sonos is a true powerhouse when it comes to syncing with music and streaming services, allowing you to effortlessly control the audio that plays on your speakers through the Sonos app. And after an update that rolled out last year, you’re now able to stream music from YouTube directly to your Sonos device.
If you have a paid YouTube Premium or YouTube Music Premium subscription, here’s how you can add it to your Sonos app on Android, and stream any music you want:
Table of Contents
How to add YouTube Music to Sonos
In order to stream YouTube via Sonos, you’ll need to add YouTube Music to your Sonos app first. Here’s how to do it:
- If you haven’t already, download the Sonos app from Google play, and then make an account, or log in with an existing one.
- Once you’re logged into the Sonos app, tap the More icon (three vertical lines in the lower-right corner of the screen). Then, tap on Add Music Services.
- Scroll through the provided list until you find YouTube Music, and then select it. Next, press Add to Sonos.
- From here, you will have to specify whether you’re already subscribed to the YouTube Music service or if you’re new (in which case you’ll need to sign up). Either way, you will be provided with a code needed for authorization. Keep this code copied.
- Tap Authorize to add YouTube Music as a service. You will now be forwarded to a browser.
- Here, you will have to enter the code you previously copied, and then tap Next.
- Choose the Google account you want to use for YouTube Music, sign in, and then press Allow.
- Now, you’ll be notified that your account has been authorized. If you want, you can also choose a name for YouTube Music once you’re back in the Sonos app.
How to play YouTube Music on Sonos
Now that YouTube Music is all set up on your Sonos app, streaming is actually quite simple:
- Open the Sonos app, and then tap Browse (bottom of the screen). A page with all your connected services will now appear.
- Next, tap on the YouTube Music section, and then choose the category you wish to play from – either Library, Recommended, New releases, Top charts or Mixtape.
- From here, you’ll be able to select songs, albums or playlists you want to listen to via Sonos.
Playing standard free YouTube
If you’re already subscribed to certain streaming services, such as Spotify, it’s not very likely you have a paid YouTube Music subscription as well. So, is there a way to simply stream the audio from YouTube videos to your Sonos while using the standard, free version?
While iPhone users might be able to connect with Sonos using AirPlay 2, unfortunately, Android users aren’t able to stream YouTube content without a paid subscription, as of yet.