If you’re looking to play Fortnite on your lightweight, portable, affordable Chromebook, but don’t know how then look no further! Although this method only works for the newer Chromebooks, it’s pretty straightforward once you get into it.
To learn how to play Fortnite on a Google Chromebook, just follow our instructions below. For any additional queries or information, see our FAQs at the end of this article.
Table of Contents
How to set your Chromebook up before installing Fortnite
- Click on the Time and Date in the bottom right corner of your Chromebook desktop
- From the pop-up menu, select ‘Settings’
- Locate and navigate to the Google Play Store section of ‘Settings’
- You’ll be redirected to a new window, here read the T’s and C’s from Google, and when happy, click ‘I Agree’
- Next, under ‘Android Apps’ click the ‘App Settings’ link (which should be blue)
- Now, click ‘Security’
- Under ‘Device Administration’ toggle to allow your computer to install apps from unknown sources
- Finally, navigate to the Google Play Store. Search for and download a File Manager app (any one is fine, just make sure to read reviews and only pay for one if you’re certain it’s the one you want – there are plenty of free options).
Install Fortnite on your Chromebook
Now that you’ve set up your Chromebook to install apps from unknown sources and you’ve got your file manager app ready, it’s time to install Fortnite.
- Navigate to the Epic Games – Fortnite website, and download the Android APK Fortnite installation file
- If you’re unable to do so, we recommend doing so on an Android phone, and then transferring the APK file to your Chromebook via USB/the Cloud/email
- Launch your newly installed file manager
- In the file manager, locate and click on the Fortnite APK file. This will begin the installation process.
- Once Fortnite’s installed, open up the app and start playing!
And there you have it! It might take a little more time than you had intended, but it’s ultimately fairly straightforward to install and start playing Fortnite on your Google Chromebook.
For any additional queries, or for any more information, please see our FAQs below.
Frequently asked questions
What is a Google Chromebook?
A Google Chromebook is a laptop that uses Google’s Chrome operating system, and operates mostly (if not entirely) online, via Google’s cloud (called Drive). All important information and files pertaining to the user of a Google Chromebook are stored on the cloud. Thus effectively rendering them automatically backed-up, which can come in handy should any issues with the device arise.
Since all major faculties of a Chromebook are stored online, the devices themselves have little internal storage, but make up for what they lack in that department by being fast, affordable, and sleek in design.
Google offers a range of free-to-use online apps which replace the need for the bulky offline versions typically purchased or subscribed to by your standard laptop user. If a device runs Chrome OS, then it’s a Chromebook.
What is Fortnite?
Fortnite is an online, super-stylized, free-to-play Battle Royale-type game, during which users battle each other in waves of smaller and smaller map sizes until only one player is left – thus becoming the victor.
Fortnite is supremely popular with both old and young people both and it has developed a couple of other game types since it was first launched, which are actually different from the original 100 players versus Battle Royale.
Fortnite is owned by Epic Games. Epic Games run the Fortnite servers, and it is only through these which you’ll gain access to Fortnite.
Why would I want to play Fortnite on a Google Chromebook?
Fortnite, one of the world’s most popular games, may be attractive to all of us. But not all of us have a console or want to be playing big games like Fortnite on our mobile phones. Or maybe you do have a console, but would prefer the functionality of playing on a PC for your Fortnite gaming.
Playing Fortnite on a Google Chromebook – which are built to be light and affordable – allows you to take Fortnite on the go with you, allowing you to play it wherever you are (provided you have internet connection)
Does the method described work for all Chromebooks?
Unfortunately not. Most modern Chromebooks have the ability to run and install Android apps, but this is unfortunately not the case for all Google Chromebooks. As such, we recommend that you use a service such as GEFORCE (a subscription gaming service) to access Fortnite readily through your Google Chromebook if it is not compatible with Android APKs.