What started as a concept explaining how cultural ideas change and vary as they get transmitted interpersonally, now represents recognizable images with added text that rapidly spread over the Internet. Memes are undoubtedly a very prominent and important aspect of today’s generations, and it’s no wonder that so many people want to express themselves and their sense of humor through these eye-catching images.
If you ever wondered what that bold meme font was, and how you could make your own, then read on to find the answers to all of your questions.
Table of Contents
What is the Impact font?
Although there are a wide variety of different fonts used in memes nowadays, the Impact font still remains one of the most widely used options. Being a bold and impactful typeface, this font easily grabs attention and conveys a message, which might explain its constant popularity.
Even though it’s considered to be the most classic font used in original Internet memes, such as “Y U NO” and Happy Cat, it’s still a crucial part of more modern memes today, like the favored Sponge Bob image macro.
Making an Impact font meme
If you want to make your own memes using the Impact font, there are two ways you could go about it: one is making the whole meme in a photo editor from start to finish, and the other is by using one of many meme generating websites that do most of the work for you.
While doing it all yourself isn’t all that difficult, a meme generator can be a great option when you’re short on time, or simply don’t have access to the right tools. Here’s a closer look at both methods:
Method 1: Using a photo editing program
While it does take a bit more work, the best thing about this DIY option is the fact that you have complete control over which image to use, and how to edit it, without ever having to worry that your meme will be uploaded to a third-party website.
Whether you are using a professional program, such as Photoshop, or a simpler one like GIMP, a meme can be made in virtually any photo editing software, as it doesn’t depend on any program-specific tools. Just follow these simple steps:
- Find the source image you would like to use for your meme, and then open it in any photo editor of your choice.
- Once the image is loaded, choose the Text tool in the editor. This is usually marked by a T icon and can be found in the toolbar.
- In the text toolbar, change the font to Impact, and then opt for a text color (usually black or white). Here, you could also change the font size, and choose how to center the text on your image.
- Once the font is chosen, colored, and centered, the next step is to type in the text of your choosing. You can use either the top or the bottom of the image for your text, although using both is the most popular option. Note that the text in memes is usually in all caps.
- Optionally, you could also add an outline to the Impact font, although that process might be a bit more complicated, and can vary depending on the photo editor you are using.
- Once the text is typed in, and the meme completed, the only thing left to do is Save, and then share the meme with your friends.
Method 2: Using a meme generator
If you don’t have access to a photo editor, or you just need a quicker solution, then you can always use an online meme generating tool.
Although MemeGenerator might be one of the first and most well-known online tools, it does have one issue that some users might find concerning. Evidently, every meme created with this tool gets automatically uploaded to their website, for everyone to see. While this might not be such a big problem when using classic meme formats, it becomes a privacy issue when you use your personal images for creating memes.
For that reason, it might be wiser to use other tools that offer more privacy, such as the ImgFlip meme generator:
- In ImgFlips’s meme generator, you can either choose a meme template from their gallery of popular images or even upload your own photo. If you upload your own image, make sure to leave the “Allow image to be displayed in a public directory” unchecked, and then tick the box labeled “Private” at the bottom of the meme generator, to keep your meme private.
- This generator uses the Impact font by default, colored in white, with a black outline. However, you can adjust the font type, color, size, and more, to your liking.
- Now, all you need to do is enter your desired text into the “Top Text” and “Bottom Text” fields, click on Generate Meme, and your meme is finished!
No matter which tool you choose to use, this helpful guide will allow you to make your own meme in no time. All that’s left now is to share your meme with your friends, and have fun!