A command block is a redstone component that, when powered, could execute console commands. These commands are often used to modify the game world in different ways that simply aren’t possible by hand, opening up a whole world of mind-bending abilities. If you want to learn how to make these incredibly useful elements, here is how you can obtain and activate command blocks in Minecraft:
Table of Contents
Firstly, you have to turn on cheats in your world, in order to run game commands in Minecraft. For this reason, command blocks can’t be found in Survival mode. Instead, you will have to start your world in Creative mode, where cheats are enabled by default.
It would also be wise to clear out some space in your inventory. Ideally, at least one of the bottom nine slots should be cleared.
The syntax for command blocks
The command to give players command blocks in Minecraft using /give is:
/give <targets> command_block [amount]
- targets referrers to the name of the player you want to give the command block to.
- amount represents the number of command blocks you wish to give. Note that if you don’t enter a number, the player will automatically be given one command block.
For example: /give MinecraftPlayer command_block 5
In this instance, you will give 5 blocks to a player named MinecraftPlayer.
How to enter the command:
- Firstly, open the chat window. This can be done in several different ways, depending on the Minecraft version: press the T key for Java/Windows 10/Education version, press the D-Pad (right) for PS4/Xbox One, click the right arrow button for Nintendo Switch, or tap on the chat icon for Pocket Edition.
- Next, type the command written above into the chat window, with the correct name of the player and number of command blocks.
Note: You can also type in “@p” to give the command block to the nearest player, or “@a” for all players.
- As you type, you will notice the command appear in the lower-left corner of the window.
- After you finish typing, press the Enter key to run the command. Once the command has been entered, the command block will be added to the selected player’s inventory.
- A message saying “Given [Command Block] x [amount] to <target>” will now appear in the lower-left corner of the window. That’s it; you have now successfully given command blocks to the selected players.
How to program and activate a command block
The command block can be placed just like any other block. By right-clicking on it, you will open the Set Console Command for Block interface, where you can enter different commands.
Minecraft offers a number of different commands that can be entered in the chat interface, which can do anything from manipulating the blocks to teleporting the players. However, if you enter one of those commands into the command block, instead of the chat interface, you can execute the command both automatically and remotely by powering the block.
One of the easiest ways to use a command block is to put a lever, button or pressure plate on or near the command block, which will allow you to activate the block whenever you wish. Certain players even like to take several command blocks, and hook them up to redstone circuits.
If you want to learn more about the commands in Minecraft, and how to use them efficiently, take a look at Minecraft Wiki’s extensive list.