Blank comments on TikTok: a 2020 trend. Why? Why not? TikTok is full of constant, continuous, and unnecessary trend-setting. It’s kind of what the app’s all about. So why not a trend where users leave blank comments on each other’s videos, even if the only reason for it is the act itself. If you’re looking to clear the confusion around blank commenting, we’re here to help.
To learn how to make a blank comment on TikTok, simply follow our tutorial below. For all other information, or for answers to any other questions you may have, we recommend you check out our FAQs below.
Table of Contents
- How to make a blank comment on TikTok?
How to make a blank comment on TikTok?
- Open the TikTok app on your mobile/tablet device and sign into your TikTok account if prompted.
- Find the video you wish to post a blank comment (or several blank comments) on, and tap on it.
- Tap the ‘comment’ button (speech bubble with ellipses inside it) from the right-hand side of the video.
- Tap the blank comment text box to open up your keyboard, if it doesn’t pop-up automatically.
- Now, here’s the secret: instead of typing in spaces or text, tap the microphone button (which would usually translate your text to speech) to start recording (depending on your phone or OS, you may need to tap and hold it for the duration of the recording).
- Try not to make any noise whilst the microphone is recording, then release the tap or tap it again to stop the recording.
- Note: you could simply quickly tap, hold, and release, or double-tap the microphone to achieve the same effect.
- Since you said nothing during the recording, the mic has no speech to translate to text, and the textbox will remain empty. However, it has been fooled into thinking it’s not empty. Lastly, tap the ‘Send’ or ‘Post’ button to the right of the blank comment and you’ll see that it posts your comment with nothing in it!
- Note: if your microphone picked up some speech and has filled the comment box with text, simply delete the text and post the blank comment all the same.
And there you go! Posting blank comments on TikTok is actually super simple, once you know the trick!
If you’ve got any other questions, or want more info on the subject, check out our FAQs below.
What is a blank comment on TikTok?
Just what it sounds like! A blank comment on TikTok is a comment made on a user’s TikTok video with nothing in it. A blank comment on TikTok will appear as simply the user’s username in the comment section, with a blank white space next to it.
Blank commenting became a trend during 2020. (Why? Who knows. Global boredom? Probably.) Today, it continues to pop up, especially on videos called for blank comments as some sort of attention-catching.
Why would I want to make a blank comment on TikTok?
Probably the most obvious reason for wanting to leave a blank comment on TikTok is simply to grab the attention of other users who are confused as to how to do it (just like you were before you read this article!).
Leaving blank comments on TikTok seems to be nothing more than an attention-seeking technique, which – since the comment shows nothing but your profile/user name – may increase traffic to your profile page ever so slightly.
Of course, that’s not to say you’re starved for attention. You may just feel left out and want to know what’s going on on your favorite app. Maybe you just want to join in the trend. Trends have been a thing throughout human history, there’s nothing new about jumping on the bandwagon.
Why doesn’t typing a few spaces into the comment box work?
TikTok recognizes blank spaces for what they are: nothing! The app is coded so that you are technically only allowed to post comments containing text and emojis, so blank spaces are a no-go. Our tip, described above, circumvents this coding to allow you to trick the app into thinking you’ve entered some text when you actually haven’t at all. This is why our technique works for posting blank comments on TikTok.
I tried the microphone technique described, but it picked up some words from me or my friends, what do I do?
If you double-tapped the microphone icon on your phone’s keyboard when attempting to leave a blank TikTok comment, but the mic picked up yours, or someone else’s words, then instead of a blank comment you’ll have a sentence.
Fear not! Simply delete the words in the comment box using the back arrow on your keyboard (or DEL) button, and once the box is empty again, tap the ‘Send’ button/arrow. The comment section will still be confused into thinking that it has been populated with text, and will allow you to send the blank comment, even if the mic initially picked up and translated speech to text.