Facebook groups have three different levels of privacy: open, closed, and secret. While any Facebook member has the freedom to join an open group of their choice, secret and closed groups are moderated by administrators who have more control over the privacy of their group. If you want to join one of the two more private Facebook group types, you’ll either need to send or receive an invitation. Here’s how you can get one, and join a private Facebook group:
Joining a closed Facebook group
Although the name, info and members list of a closed Facebook group are public, its posts and other content are closed to anyone who isn’t a member. In order to join one of these groups, you’ll need to send a request that has to be approved before the group details can be visible to you. Here’s how to do it:
- Open the Facebook app on your phone or load the Facebook website on your computer, and then log into your account.
- Using the search bar at the top of the screen, find the closed group you want to join.
- Once you’ve navigated to the group’s page, click on the Join Group button under the group’s cover image, in order to send a member request.
- Now, you have to wait until either a group member or moderator approves your request. Facebook will immediately send you a notification after the approval, and the group’s posts will begin to appear in your News Feed.
Joining a secret Facebook group
Unlike private groups, secret Facebook groups are entirely hidden – no aspect of the group is publicly visible, and the group can’t even be found with a search. The only way to join a secret Facebook group is to be invited by a current member or the moderator of the group. Here’s how to go about it:
- If you have a Facebook friend who’s a member or a moderator of a secret group you wish to join, send them a message asking for an invite (note that you have to be friends for this to work).
- Then, simply check your notifications for an invitation, and then accept once it arrives.
- Most secret groups will have certain guidelines in the description or pinned to the top of the page. Make sure to read them once you get accepted into the group.
- Look out for a new members post, as well. Most secret group moderators will ask new members to confirm they’ve read and agreed to their guidelines.
Although it might take a few additional steps and a bit more work, private groups on Facebook can still be joined easily, as long as there’s someone willing to send you an invitation or approve your request.