Although asparagus can be prepared and served in a number of different ways, its aroma is truly transformed through hot and fast cooking. Grilling tends to bring out a delightful smoky flavor, while making it surprisingly soft and tender, and undeniably delicious. However, grilling asparagus can be a bit difficult at times, as the timing has to be just right for the asparagus to turn out ideally. So, here are some tips and tricks that will help you grill the perfect asparagus every time:
What you’ll need:
- 1 lb fresh, thick asparagus (rinsed and dried)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Lemon (optional)
Method of preparation:
- Prepare your grill – Prepare your grill for high, direct heat (about 450°F).
- Season your asparagus – Put the asparagus into a thin baking dish. Drizzle it with olive oil, and season with salt, along with any other spices of your choosing (optional). Toss to coat.
- Grill your asparagus – Lightly brush the grates with olive oil, before placing the asparagus directly on the grill (or in a grill basket). Make sure that the thicker ends of the asparagus are positioned towards the hottest point of the grill. Grill the asparagus until just tender and lightly charred (about 4-5 minutes), making sure to turn the spears over, so they can brown on all sides.
- Finish the grilling – Transfer the asparagus to a plate or a serving platter, season with more spices if desired, and then sprinkle with a bit of freshly squeezed lemon juice (optional).
- Serve and enjoy!
- Always let your grill or grilling pan preheat before grilling. The goal is to hear a sizzle as soon as you put the asparagus on the grate, for the best flavor.
- Before preparation, cut off the tough, woody end of each asparagus spear, for a better texture.
- Don’t be afraid to generously season your asparagus; it’s the only way to bring out the flavor.
- Remember to have patience; if the spears are larger, they may take longer to cook. The asparagus is evenly cooked and ready to be served when you can smoothly pierce it with a fork.
Whether it’s mixed in with a healthy salad or served with some delicious roasted chicken, grilled asparagus can be paired with nearly anything, and it will always taste heavenly.