Whether you want to make yourself sound like a chipmunk, a robot, an opera singer, or an angel, TikTok voice effects are a super fun way of making your TikToks unique.
To learn how to get and add voice effects to videos on TikTok, see our step-by-step tutorial below. For all other information, or if you have other questions on the subject, please direct your attention to our FAQ section below.
Note: You can only add voice effects to videos you record in the TikTok app. You cannot add them to videos recorded off-app and later uploaded. Similarly, you can only apply them to the whole TikTok video, not just to one or several individual parts.
Table of Contents
How to get voice effects on TikTok
- On your smartphone, open up the TikTok app and sign into your TikTok account
- Tap the (+) icon in the bottom-center of the app to begin recording a new video
- Apply whichever filters you like to the video before you begin recording, as you normally would
- Tap the big red Record button in the bottom-center of your screen to begin recording your video, and ensure that whatever you record has recorded voice in it
- Tap the big red Record button again to end the recording
- Tap the red Check mark/Tick mark to move to the editing screen
- On the editing screen, tap ‘Voice Effects’ in the top-right
- You should see a range of voice effect options appear in a row at the bottom of your screen as your video plays back to you. Scroll from left-to-right through the various voice effects, and tap on any one to listen to how it will affect the recorded audio
- Once you’re happy with the voice effect you’ve chosen, tap it to select it
- Finally, tap ‘Next’ to take you to the posting screen. Edit the caption and hashtags, tag whoever you like, and once you’re happy with your finished video, simply post it to TikTok by tapping ‘Post’
And there you have it! Getting and adding voice effects on TikTok is actually super easy. Once you know how, you’ll be having fun with it for days.
For any more info, or if you still have questions, see our FAQs below.
What are voice effects on TikTok?
TikTok is a Chinese video creation and content sharing social media platform which has absolutely exploded in popularity over the last couple of years, not least spurred on by the isolation of the pandemic era. Through TikTok, users can create videos by recording in-app, and then edit those videos with any number of different effects, including adding music and filters.
TikTok is well known for the viral crazes its users have sparked, mostly surrounding creative dance routines, but also incorporating new ways of manipulating movement, video, and sound. One of the most popular means of editing audio is by applying voice effects to your recorded sound.
Voice effects are a series of different preset effects which the TikTok app allows you to retroactively apply to your recorded voice. For example, if you make a recording and speak during it, you can then apply voice effects to distort and change how your recorded voice sounds.
Voice effects include the ‘Chipmunk’ effect, in which your voice is made to sound really high-pitched and squeaky, like the fictional chipmunks from Alvin & The Chipmunks. Similarly, the voice effect ‘Electronic’ makes your voice sound robotic, ‘Baritone’ makes it sound really deep, and so on.
Why would I want to get voice effects on TikTok?
Creating a TikTok is all about creating a unique video that will entertain and interest your followers (or just yourself!). It’s also well known for its crazes, which see sometimes millions of users all attempting to copy and build upon a single source TikTok video.
Voice effects can help you to create something funny or totally unique by changing your recorded voice in ways you alone could not do. It may also help you fit in with a trend, or join a craze of people all using one particular voice effect.
A specific example might be that you’ve recorded a TikTok in which you pretend to be an AI robot from the future. You could apply the ‘Electronic’ voice effect to help make your video more convincing and more realistic.
Whatever your reasoning for wanting to get voice effects on TikTok, they are actually super easy to find and add to your videos. To learn how simply follow our step-by-step tutorial above.
Can I add voice effects to previously recorded videos on TikTok?
Unfortunately not. It was at one point possible to add voice effects to the audio/recorded voice from videos that you upload to TikTok (rather than record directly in the app). However, this is no longer possible, since the TikTok app developers removed the feature a short while ago.
The most likely reason that you cannot add voice effects to videos recorded off TikTok is that the app developers want to encourage you to record more videos on TikTok. By removing fun and useful features for uploaded video, they make it seem more attractive to just record directly in the app.
Can I add voice effects to just one part of my TikTok?
Many people ask whether it would be possible to simply add voice effects to just one part of their video. Perhaps they’ve recorded interaction between two people, and only want to add voice effects to one of the people’s recorded audio. Or, maybe they’ve recorded multiple different voices, each of which they want to apply a different effect to.
Whilst this is a really great idea, it is unfortunately not possible, at least at the time of writing this article. You can only apply voice effects to the video as a whole (and therefore to the entire audio/recorded voice in that video).