WhatsApp Messenger is the most popular cross platform chat application, but did you know you can format the texts you send? For a long time, it was not possible to change the formatting of your text messages. Only plain text chat was supported. Until now. You can use bold text, italic text, strikethrough text and change the font. Still not spectacular but it gives you some room to give your messages a little bit more flair.
- Method 1: format Whatsapp text on an Android device
- Method 2: How to format Whatsapp text on any device
How to format Whatsapp text in Android?
Android users can easily select the markup they want for their text by following these simple steps.
- Select the text you want to format
- Hold the selected text until there appears a select menu
- Click on the 3 dots menu on the right side
- Select the text format you want (bold, italic, strikethrough or monospace)
You now have nicely formatted your text and can use it in any way you like. If you don’t have an Android device follow the next steps.
How to format text in WhatsApp on other devices?
It’s fairly simple. You need to prepend and append one or a few characters to your word or sentence to get the preferred formatting.
How to send bold text in WhatsApp
- To send a bold message you can place an asterisk (*) before and after the text, for example: *message*
How to send italic text in WhatsApp
- To send your message in Italics, use underscores before and after your text, for example: _message_
How to strikethrough your text in WhatsApp
- If you want your text strikethrough you can use tildes, for example: ~message~
How to change the font in Whatsapp
- To change the font for your message use “` on both sides of your message, for example: “`message“`