Spotify allows users to follow artists and friends on the platform. Following an artist means that the user will be notified of any of their new releases and their upcoming tour dates. Following friends allows for use of the social tab where you can see what your friends are listening to.
Spotify is also in the process of beta trialling group sessions where multiple friends can listen together on their own devices, and all be part of controlling the playlist. A low key way to feel connected when far apart.
Table of Contents
Following Friends on the Mobile App
Just follow these easy steps to find and follow your friends on Spotify.
- Open the Spotify app
- Click on Search (magnifying glass symbol), you can find it on the bottom of the screen in the center of the banner (we have put a turquoise square around it in the picture below to help)
- Search for your friend’s username in the search box (purple arrow) (hopefully they have used their real name, or you will have to ask…). Click on “See All Profiles” (Blue Arrow). A page with all profiles with that name will appear, scroll until you find your friend’s profile and click on it
- Under their profile picture is a “Follow” button -> tap here (green arrow)
- The statement should change to “Following” as shown in the picture below.
Following Artists on the Mobile App
This is very similar to following friends though the follow button is in a different place. Once you have found the artist, you are looking for follow the steps below.
- Tap on Follow under the number of followers (Blue box).
2. Depending on your device you might have to tap the ellipsis … under follow, in that case a menu will come up. Tap follow on the menu that appears, seen in the blue box below.
3. The follow button under the artist’s name should change to following, see the image below.
Following People in the Spotify Web Player
This is again very easy to do and is a similar process to the one described above. Just launch the Spotify Application or log in on your web browser and follow the steps:
- Click on Search (magnifying glass symbol) located in the top left corner of your screen, see the blue box in the picture below to help you locate it.
- Type the name of the group or person you want to follow in the search box
- The search results will be organized by artist, playlist, and profile, so scroll down to the right person or profile you want to follow and right click it. In this case we want to follow the famous band Queen so it’s the first search result. Once you open the page of the artist or friend you want to follow there will be a follow button (there is a red box around it in the image below) -> Click it
- The statement should change to “Following” as seen in the picture below