Whether it’s through Facebook or through a manual search, on the desktop app or on your mobile, finding friends on Spotify is a great way to discover and share new music, collaborate on playlists, and more. To find out how just follow the tutorial below. For all other queries and additional information, check out our FAQs at the end of this article.
Finding friends through Facebook on the desktop Spotify app
- Open up the Spotify desktop app on your PC and if prompted, sign in
- In the right-hand ‘Friend Activity’ sidebar, scroll right down to the bottom and click on ‘Find Friends’
- (If you can’t see the ‘Friend Activity’ sidebar, first click the three horizontal dots in the top-left of the app, then View > Friend Activity
- Next, select ‘Connect to Facebook’ and follow the on-screen instructions to do so
- Once connected, you can search through your Facebook friends and select which of them you wish to connect with on Spotify
Finding friends via username search on the desktop or mobile Spotify app
- First, message your friend(s) and ask them to tell you their Spotify username (usually this will be their Facebook name, unless they’ve changed it)
- Next, open up the Spotify app on your desktop, tablet, or mobile, and if prompted, sign in
- Now, type in your friend(s)’ username into the Spotify search bar, and press enter
- From the list which appears (you may first have to scroll down to and click on Profiles > See all), locate the correct user and click on their profile
- Once on your friend(s)’ profile, tap or click ‘Follow’
- You’ll now be able to see all of their public playlists, and once they follow you back, you two can begin doing all the cool things being Spotify friends allows you to do
And there you have it! It’s fairly straightforward, and whilst it can be a bit more time-consuming if you can’t (or don’t want to) connect a Facebook account to Spotify, there’s nothing stopping you from finding friends on Spotify if you follow the simple steps laid out above!
For additional queries and extra information, see our FAQs below.
Frequently asked questions
What is Spotify?
Spotify is the world’s largest and most popular streaming service for music, though it also caters to podcast listeners, too. Available as an app for the PC, Apple, and Android mobile phones and tablets, it attracts millions and millions of unique users every day, from all around the world.
Why would I want to find friends on Spotify?
Sharing music with friends is surely one of life’s premier joys, and Spotify, as the world’s largest music streaming service, is no exception. Connecting with friends on Spotify allows you to see what they’re listening to, or have been recently, as well as puts you in contact with their publicly available playlists.
Furthermore, once connected on Spotify, you and your friends can easily collaborate on playlists together, or quickly and easily share songs, artists, playlists, and podcasts for each other to enjoy.
Can I find friends even without connecting a Facebook account?
You can indeed. Though not as easy to do, it’s still pretty simple. Just message your friends outside of the Spotify app, and find out their Spotify username (usually the same as their Facebook username, unless they’ve made up their own). Next, just head to the search bar in your Spotify app, and type in this username.
Once you’ve found the correct friend from the list (there may be many, if their name is a common one, for instance), tap/click on them, and when on their page, hit ‘Follow’. You’ll now be able to see all of their public playlists, and once they follow you back, you two can begin doing all the cool things being Spotify friends allows you to do.