Facebook remains one of the most popular ways to connect with people and with that it is also interlinked to several applications including Spotify. In some ways, this can be excellent – as by adding someone on Facebook, if they also have chosen to interlink their profiles you will be able to find them on other platforms with greater ease.
If your friend has not linked their Spotify account to their Facebook account or you yourself would rather not do this, then you will need to find them separately on Spotify to follow them. We walk you through how to do this at the end. If you have already linked your account but don’t know how to find your friends, then navigate to the Find Facebook Friends heading on the left.
To begin with, however, lets check out how to link your accounts to help you find your friends a lot faster.
Table of Contents
Linking Spotify and Facebook Accounts
You can do this either from a mobile device or a desktop.
- Click on the cogwheel settings icon in the top right corner
- Click on your name/ profile photo at the top
- Click on the ellipsis (…) menu in the top right corner
- In the menu that appears select “Find Friends”
- Click connect with Facebook and follow the instructions
- Once you’re linked, you’ll see all your Facebook friends who have also linked their profiles to Spotify and can select to follow the friends you want.
As part of the linking process, you give Spotify permission to post to your timeline – they will never do this without your explicit permission.
On a desktop launch the App, or the web player and follow the steps below:
- Click your profile name
- Select settings
- Scroll until you find the Facebook section
- Log in with your username and password and follow the instructions on the screen. Your Facebook friends will appear in a list and you can select Follow to all that apply.
Find Facebook Friends
If you have linked your accounts, some time back, but would like to follow more Facebook friends on Spotify as maybe you have met some people at a concert or have met some new friends through work or school, then follow the steps below to find the list of friends who have linked their accounts. You’ll be able to see them in your feed and learn about their taste in music in no time.
You will need to be on a computer version of the app or a web browser to do this. You will also need to enable your Friend’s Panel (you can do this in settings if it’s not already enabled though the likelihood is that it is – seeing that you’re looking to follow more friends). Once you can see your friend’s activity panel (Located on the left side of the screen) follow these steps:
- Scroll down to the bottom of the panel and click Find Friends
- Spotify will bring up a pop-up with a list of Facebook friends you don’t currently follow
- Click Follow next to the name of each new friend you’d like to start following
Some people have had issues with this function, if you are struggling you can try the following:
- Uninstall and reinstall the Spotify App
- Delink and relink Facebook (To unlink follow the steps described above for linking then select unlink)
- Do both
Finding and Following Friends Without Account Link to Facebook
Your new friend might not be on Facebook or you would rather not give the social media giant even more of your data by linking your accounts – this is fully understandable. In these cases, you will need to find your friend on Spotify without the convenience of the Facebook link. There are two ways for you to do this;
- Knowing your friend’s Spotify username
- Asking your friend to send you a link to their profile
If you know your friend’s Spotify name, Follow these steps:
- Enter their username into the search bar
- If they are not immediately visible, scroll down to See All Profiles, and select this
- Once you find your friend, select their profile and click Follow under their avatar
If you can’t locate your friend; maybe they have a very common name so you can’t distinguish which profile is theirs or you don’t know their Spotify handle. In that case, you can ask them to send you a link to their profile. This will work on mobile and computer applications. Once you have opened the link you’ll be directed to your friend’s profile and can then follow them.
To find your own profile link;
Click on the ellipsis menu under your name and select share, then select Copy Profile Link. You can now paste the link to share with your friends (this is how your friend finds their profile link too in case you need to advise them).