Zedge is an open-platform content distribution app which allows its users to download thousands of free and paid ringtones, wallpapers, and notification sounds, each of which has been created by another user on the app.
To learn how to download ringtones from Zedge on Android, follow our step-by-step instructions below. For all other information, or if you have further questions you would like answering, please see our FAQ section at the end of this article instead.
Note: Zedge is only available as an app for Android users on the Google Play Store. If you wish to download Zedge ringtones onto your iPhone, you will have to do so via the Zedge website, which is a little more complex, but still totally possible.
Table of Contents
How to download and set ringtones from Zedge on Android
- On your Android device, navigate to the Google Play Store
- Use the Google Play Store search bar and your keyboard to search for ‘Zedge’
- Tap on the Zedge app in the Play Store and then tap ‘Install’ and wait for installation to complete
- Open the Zedge app once it has finished installing
- Read and agree to the Terms & Conditions by tapping ‘Agree’
- Choose your preferred Data Protection settings by tapping ‘Agree’ or ‘Manage Options’
- Zedge will now ask you if you wish to sign up for a premium membership, giving you full unlimited access to all of the content on the app
- To sign up, select the membership package you want (monthly or annually)
- To skip signing up, tap the ‘X’ at the top-right of the pop-up to close it
- Note: Free Zedge account holders will see a lot of pop-up ads when using the app, which can be annoying, but shouldn’t pose too much of a problem, especially if you’re just looking to download one or two ringtones every now and then
- Tap the hamburger menu icon in the top-left of the screen
- Select ‘Ringtones’ from the slide-out menu
- You can now browse ringtones either by ‘Featured’ or ‘Popular’, or go more in-depth and detailed by tapping ‘Categories’ and then selecting your preferred ringtone category
- You can listen to each ringtone by tapping their ‘Play’ icons and listening to the sample
- Once you’ve found the ringtone you wish to download from Zedge on Android, tap on it
- Next, tap the ‘Download’ icon in the center-bottom below the ringtone artwork
- Note: Non-Premium account holders can only download free ringtones
- From the pop-up options, select how you’d like to set your new ringtone. You can choose multiple options by tapping each one in turn. These are the options:
- Set Ringtone
- Set Notification
- Set Alarm Sound
- Set Contact Ringtone
- Save to Media Folder
- Give permission to Zedge to access your phone’s storage and file space by tapping ‘Agree’ or ‘OK’ when the pop-up appears, and then toggling the slider to ON, before tapping your phone’s ‘Back’ or ‘Return’ button to return to the Zedge app
- You have now successfully downloaded and set a ringtone from Zedge on Android
And there you go! Everything you need to know about how to download and set new ringtones on your Android smartphone from the Zedge app. If you have any more questions, or would like further information, please see our FAQs below.
What is Zedge?
Zedge is a content distribution platform, with thousands of different ringtones, wallpapers, and other customizable smartphone media files at its users disposal. Zedge has an Android app on the Google Play Store which makes it super easy to use and accessible to anyone and everyone with an Android device and an internet connection.
Zedge is a Norwegian company and app, founded in 2003, though available in a wide range of different languages and countries all around the world. What makes Zedge unique as a ringtone and wallpaper provider, compared to pre-installed apps on Android devices, and other ringtone distribution platforms, is that Zedge is an open-platform which allows independent creators to open digital storefronts through the app.
To put it another way, the ringtones and wallpapers you can download from Zedge on Android are by-and-large created by other Zedge users, making each one instantly original and unique, and thus unlikely to be replicated on the phones of any one of your friends or colleagues.
Why would I want to download ringtones from Zedge on Android?
Zedge has thousands and thousands of free and premium ringtones to choose from, each created by another Zedge user and so being totally unique and interesting. There are any number of reasons as to why you might wish to download ringtones from Zedge on Android, the most common of which being boredom with the pre-installed, default ringtones provided to you by your phone.’
Our Android smartphones have become, especially in the last decade, an extension of ourselves. And, just as you might wear tattoos, piercings, or particularly outfits to outwardly express your style and personality, so too might you customize your Android phone as well. A Zedge ringtone is liable to sound totally different to the default ringtones used by most of the Android users around you, helping you to stand out from the crowd (if that’s your sort of thing).
Furthermore, the extensive library of ringtones available on Zedge on Android means that you can find just about any type of ringtone you like, to suit your taste in music and sound overall.
What kind of ringtones are available on Zedge on Android?
There are almost countless ringtones available on Zedge, since there are as many uploaded as there are creators to create them. This might sound a little overwhelming, and at first it can be, but there are thankfully some pretty helpful tools to make exploring the Zedge app much easier.
The best way to search for ringtones via the Zedge app on Android is to look for them via the categories section. Ringtones uploaded and sold/distributed by other Zedge users are automatically grouped according to their style and sound into a number of useful categories. Categories of Zedge ringtones include: Latin, Hip Hop, Country, Dance, Alternative, Games, Religious, Pop, Reggae, Bollywood, Animals, Children, Recent, Popular, and so on.
Not all of the ringtones featured on Zedge are free to download and use. Some of them cost you money, in the form of credits, which you can buy in packs elsewhere on the Zedge app. Alternatively, you can sign up for a subscription (paid monthly or annually) to Zedge which gives you fully unlimited access to all ringtones, wallpapers, and notification sounds.
Nevertheless, there are typically a large enough number of totally free ringtones (you can also filter all ringtones by ‘free’) for you to find one you like and pay nothing for it.
Is Zedge for Android safe to use?
Zedge is totally legitimate and thus safe to use on Android devices, there is no need to worry. When you first log into Zedge, you will be asked to read and accept the Terms & Conditions before proceeding. Doing so may elucidate for you more clearly the levels of privacy and security which come with using the app.
After the Terms & Conditions screen, you will be asked to set your preferences for data control, such as which vendors are sold your app usage data and personal information, and so on. To make using Zedge as secure as possible, we recommend opting out of/refusing all.