Instagram, the world’s leading photo and video sharing social media platform, was designed for the smartphone and tablet. Nonetheless, many users enjoy using the platform on their PC or Mac just as much. Unfortunately, however, the functionality on the Instagram website version just isn’t the same as on the mobile app, and viewing your favourite videos can be a pain.
If you’d like to learn how to download Instagram videos on a PC or Mac, simply follow our step-by-step tutorial below. For all other information, or if you have further unanswered questions on the subject, then don’t hesitate to check out our FAQ section down below.
Note: You can only download videos from Instagram which have been posted to a ‘Public’ profile. No matter how cool the video, or whether you and the other profile follow each other, if it was posted to a ‘Private’ account, there is absolutely no way to download it.
Table of Contents
How to download Instagram videos on a PC or Mac
- On your PC or Mac, open your preferred web browser and navigate to https://igram.io/
- Next, open up a new tab, and head to the Instagram website. Sign into your account if you’re asked to
- Once there, it’s time to find the video you wish to download. Just remember you have to make sure that it was posted by a Public profile
- Open up the video by left-clicking on it, and then left-click again on the three horizontal dots to the top-right. From the pop-up menu, choose ‘Copy link’
- Now, head back to https://igram.io/. On the website, you’ll see an empty text box. Paste your copied link into this text box by right-clicking and selecting ‘Paste’, or by left-clicking in the box and using the Paste keyboard shortcut CTRL/CMD + V
- Next, click the ‘Download’ button
- Wait until the video has appears as a thumbnail on the next page, which you will immediately be redirected to. Once it’s there, left-click the ‘Download MP4’ button below the video
- Your chosen Instagram video shall be downloaded to your PC or Mac, and will be found in your computer’s ‘Downloads’ folder
And there you have it! Two separate methods for downloading Instagram videos onto a PC or Mac. For any other information, or if you have further questions, see our FAQ section below.
Why would I want to download Instagram videos onto my computer?
One of the great joys of owning a computer is the, usually huge, amount of internal memory and storage capacity that computers have. With all that free space, you can store copious amounts of media, from pictures and music, to documents and videos (even whole movies!). It’s no wonder, therefore, that you might be wondering how you can download Instagram videos for storing on your computer.
Instagram is one of the most popular social media platforms in the entire world, so much so that it has millions of daily users from just about every corner of the world imaginable. Whilst Instagram began as a place to upload and share your photos and favourite images, it has over time evolved to host endless hours of video. TikTok has since taken the world by storm as the most trending video sharing app, but many users still turn to Instagram for their long-format, or even bite-size clips.
However, you can of course only view Instagram videos when on the app or website, and then only when connected to the internet. But what if you want to watch Instagram videos offline? What if you want to share them with someone who doesn’t watch Instagram? What if you want to be able to edit Instagram videos, or post them elsewhere?
Well, for that you’re going to have to learn how to download Instagram videos onto your PC or Mac. Which is why we’re here. To learn how, simply follow our step-by-step tutorials up above!
Can I download Instagram videos directly from the Instagram app?
No. Instagram doesn’t allow its users to download their own, or other users’ videos from the Instagram app. Meta (the owner of Instagram, Facebook, and WhatsApp) makes its trillions by selling your information to 3rd-party interests. If you’re not on the app, they’re not making money. It’s that simple. Thus, it’s no surprise that they want to keep you’re engaged and using the Instagram app as much as possible. Hence why they don’t allow you to download Instagram videos to your PC or Mac.
Thankfully, that doesn’t mean it’s impossible to download Instagram videos. Provided they are published by a Public profile, you can use our recommended website to download Instagram videos to your computer to your heart’s content. Just follow the tutorials above.
Can I download any Instagram videos I like?
Again, we’re afraid the answer is no. You can’t just download any Instagram video you like, instead you can only download videos uploaded by Public Instagram profiles. If the user who uploaded the video has a Private account, the website we’ve recommended above will be unable to access the account, and thus unable to pull the video from it.
However, you can download just about any other video you come across, from Feed/IGTV videos to Reels, just follow our prescribed instructions.