Reddit is one of the best and most popular communal platforms out there, offering a wide variety of subreddits that cover any topic or interest you can think of. Whether you want to ask a serious question, post a controversial opinion, or simply share funny memes, Reddit has a community for any type of content.
However, considering the fact that this platform is quite unique in its format, it’s understandable that Reddit is not suitable for everyone. Whether you gave up on Reddit entirely, or you simply wish to remove a spare account you previously made, here is how you can delete your profile on Reddit permanently, in a few simple steps:
Table of Contents
Method 1: Deleting your Reddit account on desktop
In case you are using a computer, your Reddit profile can easily be deleted just by following these steps:
- Open the Reddit website in your preferred browser, and then log into your Reddit profile if necessary.
- Next, open the Menu by pressing your profile picture, located in the top-right of the web page.
- Here, press User Settings.
- Scroll until the end of this page, and then press the red Deactivate Account option.
- A warning will then appear, reminding you that the decision you made is final. You’ll have the choice to give Reddit the reason why you made this decision here as well, or you could decide to leave the box empty.
- In this same window, enter your log-in information once again, and then press the red Deactivate button.
- Another warning will now appear. Simply press the red Deactivate button, and your profile on Reddit will then be deleted
Method 2: Deleting your Reddit account on mobile
If you’re using Reddit on your tablet or mobile phone, you can delete your profile on Reddit with that device as well. Here’s how:
- Open the Reddit application on your device, and then log into your profile if necessary.
- Next, open the Menu by pressing your profile picture, located in the top-right part of the page.
- Scroll to the lower part of the Menu, and then tap Settings.
- Here, scroll down to the bottom once again, and then select the ‘Help FAQ’ option.
- Now, simply type ‘deactivate’ into the search bar that appears, and tap the search icon.
- The number one search result will be a post titled ‘How do I deactivate my account?’. Open it.
- In this small post, you will find the words ‘click this link’ highlighted in blue. This is a link that will take you directly to the account deletion page. Click on it.
- On the page that opens next, you will have to sign in with your account information once more.
- Then, you will have the choice to explain to Reddit exactly why you made this decision. You can also leave this field empty.
- Now, you’ll be requested to enter your log-in information once again.
- Finally, check the ‘I understand’ box, and then tap on Deactivate Account. Your Reddit profile will now be deleted.
Things to consider before you decide to delete your Reddit account
Before you decide to permanently delete your Reddit profile, there are a couple of things you might want to consider.
First of all, Reddit never deletes an account ‘entirely’. This means that any comments you might have made in the past will still remain on the website, even if your name won’t appear next to them any longer. However, you always have the choice of going back and manually deleting any posts or comments you made before you finally delete your account on Reddit, although the process might be quite stressful and inconvenient.
Additionally, when you make a decision to delete an account on Reddit, it’s deleted forever. There is no option of only deactivating your profile on Reddit temporarily like on some other social media websites. You also won’t have the choice to make a new profile with your current username in the future, which is why you might want to think about simply not logging in if you are fond of it.
Although it might be a tiresome process, especially considering the amount of warnings that appear, permanently deleting your Reddit account is still quite straightforward and easy to do with this step-by-step guide.