Occasionally, users may face the problem of storing new files in Windows 10. The lack of storage capacity could lead to a situation where you decide to delete some files quickly. You may also notice certain notifications and errors in your system. Deleting files is the only option by which you can free some space for new files, as well as make our system perform faster.
Table of Contents
What are win log files?
The “.log” files extension, Windows log files, commonly called win log files, are the records of certain notable operations that the Windows store. This storage is mainly for troubleshooting.
There are different versions of Windows, and each one has a path to find these files. The disk space in the hard drive is mostly occupied by these files, which becomes a problem for the user. You may, at certain times, need to store something urgently, but the disk space is already filled with the log files. So, here are a few ways to delete the win log files.
Windows 10 Event Viewer:
The Event Viewer is largely used to delete the win log files. The steps included are;
- Hit the window key + R simultaneously. This will open a Run window. You can see a blank box on your screen, in which you have to type ‘eventvwr.msc’.
- Press “Enter”. This will run the Event Viewer as the administrator.
- Next, expand the drop-down menu, and click on the category.
- Navigate to the next pane on the right and then click “Clear log”.
There is also the option of pressing the right click on the folder, and then choosing “Clear log”.
Command prompt helps in manually clearing the log files. Follow the steps detailed below.
- Type “cmd” after pressing Start, and then hit “enter”.
- Type the following in order:
- Lastly, enter the command:
“del *.log /a /s /q /f”
- Press “enter”.
Using a.CMD file:
Following are the steps involved:
- Open the notepad.
- Copy and paste the following codes:
FOR /F “tokens=1,2*” %%V IN (‘bcdedit’) DO SET adminTest=%%V
IF (%adminTest%)==(Access) goto noAdmin
for /F “tokens=*” %%G in (‘wevtutil.exe el’) DO (call :do_clear “%%G”)
echo Event Logs have been cleared! ^<press any key^>
echo clearing %1
wevtutil.exe cl %1
echo ^<press any key^>
- Save the text to a .cmd extension.
- After right-clicking on the context menu, run the command file as administrator.
External Resources: Third-Party App
There are many apps available to remove unwanted data and log the files from your system. CCleaner is a popular application, and you can safely use it to delete the files.
Woah! Who would have thought deleting the junk on your system could be so easy. These procedures are easy to follow and quick. Enjoy the new space on your system!