If you’ve accidentally sent a message before it was ready, or have sent something you now regret, you can delete it from the chat. To learn how, simply follow our simple step-by-step guide below. For any additional information, see our FAQs at the end of this article.
Note: You can only delete messages you have actually sent. You cannot delete other people’s messages. To learn what other options you have in such situations, please see the FAQs.
Table of Contents
- Frequently asked questions
How to delete messages on Reddit (iOS/Android)
- Open up the Reddit app on your mobile device and sign in to your account if prompted
- Tap the ‘Messages’ icon along the bottom of the page (it looks like a speech bubble with an ellipsis inside it)
- Locate and tap on the chat with the messages you wish to delete
- Next, tap and hold the message you wish to delete
- Finally, from the pop-up options, select ‘Delete message’
- You’ll be asked to confirm your deletion, to do so, tap ‘Delete’
- Repeat as necessary
How to delete messages on Reddit (desktop/website)
- Open up your preferred web browser and navigate to the Reddit website; sign into your Reddit account if prompted
- Click the ‘Messages’ icon along the top of the page (it looks like a speech bubble with an ellipsis inside it)
- From the lists of chats, select the one with the messages you wish to delete
- Next, hover your cursor over the message(s) you wish to delete
- Finally, click the ‘Delete message’ trash can/bin icon which appears to the left of the message
- You’ll be asked to confirm your deletion, to do so, click ‘Delete’
- Repeat as necessary
And there you have it! 7 easy steps to deleting your accidentally or erroneously sent messages. If you’re wondering what to do about unwanted messages people have sent you, then head to our FAQs below.
Frequently asked questions
Why would I want to delete messages on Reddit?
Reddit, known as the “front page of the internet” is loved and used by millions of people every day. With just about any type of content and information you can think of, hosted on any number of communities for any number of niche subjects, you’ll find all sorts of people there.
As such, you may also find you start receiving (or sending) messages to various other Reddit users, and before long your inbox might just be full of messages. Not all of these are invited though, not all wanted. What’s more, if you’re messaging back and forth, you might end up sending something you wish you hadn’t. Of course, you might also just hit send before the message was fully formed.
There are lots of reasons why you might want to delete messages on Reddit, and so we’re here to help you do just that. Follow the tutorials above to learn how to delete messages on Reddit.
What happens when I delete messages on Reddit?
When you delete a message you’ve sent to another user from the chat in Reddit, that message is instantly and permanently deleted. You cannot recover it, and neither party will be able to see it ever again. However, if the recipient has already seen the message, this obviously cannot be reversed.
In essence, we recommend that you take time to consider what you’re sending, and make sure that you’re always messaging others with their thoughts and feelings in mind. Be compassionate, and don’t send anything you think you might regret saying later.
What kind of messages can I delete on Reddit?
You can delete any messages which you yourself have sent. You cannot, however, delete messages other people have sent.
I don’t want to see a message I’ve received, but I can’t delete it. What should I do?
If someone has sent you a message you deem to be offensive, threatening, or in any way misrepresentational, you may not be able to delete it, but there is still something you can do. You can ‘Report’ this message, by following steps similar to those taken to delete messages.
Reporting a message to Reddit’s community of moderators will flag that message (and thus the sender) as inappropriate, and both the message and user will be investigated. If it is deemed by the moderators that the user has broken Reddit’s terms of agreement, they may face account deletion or some other sanctions.
Either way, reporting a message is quite a serious step – one which should only be taken if you seriously believe it’s necessary. You do have other options, if the messages aren’t offensive per say, but you still don’t want to receive them. You can block the user from messaging you by clicking the Settings icon in the chat, and then selecting ‘Block’ and following the on-screen instructions. Similarly, you can hide the chat so that it disappears from your messages page.