Being among the most popular social media platforms today, Facebook is a great way of announcing special events, such as parties, meetings, concerts, and other gatherings, using Facebook’s Events feature. However, as real-life events get cancelled due to a number of different circumstances, it’s only fair to let the guests know by deleting or cancelling the corresponding Facebook Event as well. Here are two ways you can do just that, depending on the device you use:
Deleting and cancelling events on desktop
- Go to the Facebook website, and log into your account using your e-mail and password.
- Navigate to the Events page, found on the left-hand side of the screen. Find the event that needs to be cancelled or deleted, and open its page.
- Underneath the event title, click More (three horizontal dots). A drop-down menu will now appear, where you can select Cancel event.
- A new window will now open, where you will have the option to Cancel or Delete your event. Mark the most appropriate box, and then click Confirm.
Note: You also have the option of sending your guests a note explaining why you deleted or cancelled the event – simply type in the explanation in the provided box.
- After confirmation, your event will now be cancelled or deleted. A notification will also be sent to every person that was invited, and hasn’t yet declined or removed themselves.
Deleting and cancelling events on mobile
- Open the Facebook app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Tap the Menu icon (three horizontal lines) which can be found either in the top right corner on Android or the bottom right corner on iOS.
- From there, tap the Events
- Find your event, and repeat the steps from the first method to cancel or delete the event.
Keep in mind that when you cancel an event, people will still be able to post to its page, although you won’t be able to make any changes. When you delete an event, however, everything will be deleted along with it, and no one will be able to post anything.