Fortnite seems to be just about everyone’s favourite Free-to-Play online Battle Royale game, and for good reason – with its louder than life characters, dance moves which have gone viral, and addictive gameplay, we can see just why it’s so popular,
Nevertheless, there may just come the time when you want to delete your account, for one reason or another. To do so, you’ll actually have to delete your Epic Games account, since it’s Epic Games who own and run the Fortnite servers.
Note: If you play any other Epic Games games that you do not wish to get rid of, then we recommend removing Fortnite from your console, rather than deleting your account.
To learn how to delete your account, just follow the below tutorial. For other queries, see the FAQs at the end of this article.
Table of Contents
- Frequently asked questions
How to delete your Fortnite Epic Games account
- Open up your preferred internet browser, and navigate to the Epic Games website, sign in by clicking the ‘Sign In’ option in the top right and inputting your ID and password
- Once logged in, hover your cursor over your username in the top-right corner, and from the drop-down menu, click on ‘Account’
- Scroll down to the bottom of the General Settings page you’ve been redirected to, and in the ‘Delete Account’ section, click ‘Request Account Delete’
- As part of a security process, a 6-digit code will have now been sent to the email address associated with your Epic Games account – open up a new browser tab and access your email
- Once you’ve received and made note of your 6-digit deletion code, head back to the Epic Games website tab, and input the code in the box
- Now, if you’re 100% sure of your decision, click ‘Confirm Delete Request’
- You will be asked why you are leaving, you can either answer this question or skip it. Then, click ‘Continue’
- In the next and final screen, click ‘Done’ to confirm your account deletion
- Lastly, log out (if you haven’t been automatically) from the Epic Games website
Congratulations! You have successfully deleted your Fortnite account via the Epic Games website. You can now remove the app from your console, as you won’t be needing it anymore! If you wish to play Fortnite again in future, you will have to register anew.
For any other queries, see the FAQs below.
Frequently asked questions
What is Fortnite?
Fortnite is a cartoon-styled, high-velocity free-to-play Battle Royale online game, in which users battle against each other in waves of ever-decreasing map sizes, until there is only one player left – who emerges victorious. It is immensely popular with gamers both young and old, and has since it was launched developed two other distinct game types, separate from the original 100 players versus Battle Royale. Fortnite is the property of Epic Games, which runs its servers, and through which account you’ll have access to Fortnite.
Why would I want to delete my Fortnite account?
There are of course many reasons why you might want to delete your Fortnite account. The game may have lost its novelty for you, or you’re finding that you’re spending way too much time on it (it is an addictive game, after all). Alternatively, you may want to stop someone else from using your account, or an account you’re associated with. Whatever reason, always remember to make sure that you have express permission of the account holder, or have made absolutely sure in your own mind that you want to delete your account, before doing so.
Can I recover a deleted Fortnite account?
No, you cannot. The deletion process is completely permanent, and effective immediately upon finalising the deletion.
What happens when I delete my Fortnite account?
All of your character data, save files, DLC and any and all information associated with your Epic Games/Fortnite account will be permanently deleted. It is not recoverable. If you simply wish to stop playing Fortnite, or are unsure as to whether you really want to permanently delete your account, we recommend simply removing the Fortnite game app from your console, instead.
When can I delete my Fortnite account?
You can delete your Fortnite account at any time.
I use my Epic Games account for other games, what should I do?
If you play other Epic Games games, for which you want to retain your account, then we recommend simply removing Fortnite from your console. The deletion process with your Epic Games account is permanent, and there is no way to reverse it. If you have reason to believe that deleting this account would affect the gameplay experience/save data of another game you play, we do not recommend deleting your Epic Games account (unless of course you are 100% sure it is the right move).