Whether you’re turning your living room into a home cinema, streaming a presentation to a larger screen at work, or looking to rest your weary eyes by viewing things from a distance, and in greater detail, connecting your Google Chromebook to your TV can be really useful.
To learn how simply follow our step-by-step guides below. All you’ll need is an HDMI cable (or USB-C adapter and HDMI cable) or a Chromecast compatible TV with Chromecast pre-installed or installed via a Chromecast dongle.
For any other information, or if you have any further queries, please direct your attention to the FAQs at the end of this article.
Table of Contents
- How to connect a Google Chromebook to your TV (HDMI)
- How to connect a Google Chromebook to your TV (Chromecast)
- Frequently asked questions
- Why would I want to connect my Google Chromebook to my TV?
- What’s the quickest method of connecting my Google Chromebook to my TV?
- How do I disconnect my Google Chromebook from my TV?
- What will be displayed on my TV when my Chromebook is connected?
- Can I use my Chromebook as normal when connected to my TV?
- Related Posts
How to connect a Google Chromebook to your TV (HDMI)
- First, plug one end of the HDMI cable into the HDMI port on the side of your Google Chromebook (or into the USB-C adapter you’ve plugged into the USB-C port, if your Chromebook doesn’t have an HDMI port)
- Next, plug the other end into one of the HDMI ports on your TV
- Now, power up your Chromebook and log into your Google Account
- Turn on your TV, and using the Input function on your remote control or on the TV itself, turn the TV to the correct HDMI channel (according to which port you’ve plugged the cable into – i.e. HDMI 1, HDMI 2, and so on)
- You should now see your Chromebook’s desktop appear on the TV.
- The final step is to mirror your Chromebook screen in the Chromebook’s settings. Click the Clock in the bottom-right of the screen, and then click ‘Settings’ (cog/gear icon)
- Click ‘Device’ from the left-hand sidebar, and then click ‘Displays’
- Lastly, check the box to the side of ‘Mirror Internal Display’. Your entire Chromebook’s screen will now be mirrored/connected to your TV
How to connect a Google Chromebook to your TV (Chromecast)
- First, ensure that your TV has Chromecast installed and that the TV is turned on and connected to the same WiFi as your Chromebook
- Next, power up your Chromebook and sign into your Google Account
- Now, click the Clock in the bottom-right of the screen
- Next, click ‘Cast’
- From the auto-populated list of available Chromecast devices, select your TV
- Finally, select the appropriate window you wish to cast (whether it’s just the one app, or your entire screen), and when satisfied, click ‘Cast’
- Your Chromebook has been successfully connected to your TV
And there you have it! Whether by Chromecast or HDMI cable, the process of connecting your Google Chromebook to your TV is super straightforward. Happy streaming!
If you have any further unanswered questions or would like any more information, please see our FAQs below.
Frequently asked questions
Why would I want to connect my Google Chromebook to my TV?
There are hundreds of potential reasons why you might want to connect your Google Chromebook to your TV, but probably the easiest (and most common) answer is: to increase the size of your display.
Working all day from the relatively small screen of your Chromebook can become a strain on the eyes, and so hooking your Chromebook up to your TV can be a quick and easy fix – the bigger the screen, the less your eyes have to strain to pick out details.
One of the other most popular reasons is to turn your Chromebook into a miniature home cinema. By connecting your Chromebook to your TV, you can stream whichever movies or TV shows you like via your Chromebook’s internet connection, and watch them on the big screen.
What’s the quickest method of connecting my Google Chromebook to my TV?
This really depends on what method you end up finding easiest, as well as what kind of kit you have to hand. If your TV comes with built-in Chromecast, or you happen to already have the necessary hardware for installing Chromecast on your TV, then we’d say this is the quickest method, since you can connect Chromebook to TV in a few clicks, without ever having to get up from your seat.
However, if for whatever reason you don’t have the internet connection required for Chromecast, or you haven’t yet had the time to install the Chromecast hardware in your TV, then the HDMI-connection option is super quick and reliable.
How do I disconnect my Google Chromebook from my TV?
Simple, though the method differs depending on the connection. If you’re connected via HDMI, then you literally just need to unplug the HDMI cable from the side of your Chromebook, and hey presto! You’re disconnected.
If you’re connected via Chromecast, the process is a little different, but equally quick. Simply click the Clock in the bottom-right of your Chromebook’s screen, and then click ‘Stop’ in the window which appears above the regular menu (the Chromecast window).
What will be displayed on my TV when my Chromebook is connected?
That’s up to you, given the connection to your TV will simply mirror your Chromebook’s screen. Essentially though, as much or little as you like. If you only want to display a movie, say, on your TV, then just have that movie up and ready to play in full screen, and those watching the TV will see this and this only.
If, on the other hand, you’re happy for those watching the TV to see anything and everything, then just use your Chromebook as normal.
Basically, your entire Chromebook’s working screen will be mirrored on your TV, so anything you do, and any window or app you open, use, and see on your Chromebook, will also be displayed on your TV.
Can I use my Chromebook as normal when connected to my TV?
Yes, absolutely! The only thing that changes is that your Chromebook’s screen is mirrored on the TV. Aside from this, the Chromebook works as normal, and you can perform any number of functions on it, just as you would do normally.