Skype has long been among the most popular and widely-used video chatting applications, whether it comes to conducting business or even fun personal calls. But even though it is a safe and trusted platform, it does have one drawback.
When you initially make an account on this application, your username will either be the email address you’ve used when signing up or an automatically generated username that was assigned to you randomly, depending on when the account was made. Unfortunately, there is no way to change this username on the Skype application.
However, you do have the ability to alter the display name on your Skype profile, making it that much simpler for people to find you, and more convenient to use Skype overall. Here are some ways you could do just that:
How to Change Your Skype Name on a Computer
If you wish to adjust the name that shows up on your Skype profile, in chats, and in search results when people try to look for you, you can effortlessly alter this display name when using your computer. Just follow the steps below:
- Using your computer, launch the Skype application, and log in if necessary.
- In the top-left corner, press your profile photo or the current name that’s shown.
- Here, press Skype Profile, and then press the pencil icon.
- Finally, simply type in the new name you’d like to be displayed, and press the Enter key to save your new adjustments.
How to Change Your Skype Name on a Mobile Device
In case you’re using a smartphone or a tablet, on the other hand, you can easily alter your display name by following these simple steps:
- On your mobile device, load the Skype application, and log in if necessary.
- Press on your profile photo (or initials) at the beginning of the page.
- Press the Skype Profile option, and then press the pencil icon.
- Finally, simply type in the new name you’d like to be displayed, and press the checkmark to save your new adjustments.
Although you might not have the opportunity to change your actual username on the Skype platform, you can easily adjust the name that shows up on your profile by following the helpful steps above, regardless of the device you’re currently using.