As of recently, Mojang Studios now provides Minecraft players with the opportunity to change their in-game username. This comes as wonderful news, as it allows players to be more creative with their names or even to fix any old names and mistakes that they might have made in the past.
However, it’s important to note that you will need to have an account on Mojang in order to alter your Minecraft name. This means that if you are now logging into Minecraft with your e-mail, you’re all set. If you have an older Minecraft profile, though, you might need to migrate the account first.
Once you have an account on Mojang set up, here is a helpful guide for changing your current username on Minecraft:
Changing your current username on Minecraft
At this point, the only way you can alter your username is through a web browser on your computer, by following these steps:
- Load the Mojang website in your preferred internet browser.
- Press the Account button at the beginning of the web page.
- Next, press the Log In button, and then sign in using your account information.
- On the profile page, scroll until you come across the Profile Name segment.
- Here, press on the red Change tab beside your current username. You will then be redirected to a page that allows you to alter your current username.
- Now, simply type in your preferred username into the New Profile Name box.
- After the name is typed out, press the Check Availability tab to ensure your preferred username is free to use. If the name was previously taken, it will display a red availability message, whereas a green message will appear if the name is in fact free to use.
- Once you’ve ensured that your new username is entirely unique, type in your account password into the Password box.
- Finally, press the Change Name button at the end of the web page, and your new Minecraft username will be saved.
Things to consider before you finally change your username
Before you decide on a new name for Minecraft, there are a couple of things you should be aware of:
- As already mentioned, you only have the ability to change your name through Mojang.
- The new name you opt for has to be at least two characters long, and it can only contain numbers, letters, and underscores.
- Remember, the name needs to be entirely unique in order to be changed.
- Once you choose a new username, you will have a 7-day period to revert it back to the old name. After that, you will need to wait 30 days to choose a new Minecraft name once again.
- Even if you choose a new in-game name, this will not alter your account name on the Minecraft site.
And there you have it; all the information you need for choosing a new username on Minecraft, as well as the necessary steps you have to take in order to make it happen.