If you’ve got yourself a new email address, or you’ve lost access to the old one and are forced to change things up, it’s important you make sure your details on Spotify are kept up to date. Ensure you can always gain access to your Spotify account, no matter where you are, by changing your email address to the one you use most regularly.
To learn how to change your email address on Spotify, simply follow our instructions below. For all other information, and if you have any other questions you’d like to answer, please direct your attention to our FAQ section located at the end of this article.
Note: You can only change your email address via the Spotify website through a web browser. Whilst possible on your smartphone, we recommend doing so via the desktop app, since it has an accessible, built-in link to the correct web page.
Table of Contents
How to change your email address on Spotify
And that’s all there is to it! If doing this on your phone, you can search for the correct Spotify website page by searching for ‘Spotify account’ via your chosen web browser, and then signing into the page using your Spotify credentials.
- Open the desktop Spotify app and sign into your account if prompted
- Click your Profile’s name and profile picture in the top-right of the homepage
- From the drop-down menu, click on ‘Account’
- Once on the ‘Account Overview’ page, you’ll see your various account details, including your current email address. Below this section, find and click the ‘Edit profile’ button
- Now, delete the email address currently stored, and enter your new one (remembering to check the spelling)
- Next, input your Spotify password in the blank box below the email address
- Finally, click ‘Save Profile’ toward the bottom of the page and confirm any changes you have made
- Now all that’s left to do is to go into your emails (connected to the email address you’ve just changed your Spotify account to), open the email Spotify has just sent you, and click the link in the email to confirm and authorise the email change
If you have any further questions or would like a little more information on the subject, please see our FAQs below.
Frequently asked questions
Do you have to include your email address on your Spotify profile?
In order to have a Spotify profile – which you can use to access Spotify’s world-class library of music, podcasts, and shows for streaming on any number of devices – you do indeed have to have an email address connected.
You need an email address to open a Spotify account since Spotify needs some means of verifying with you your details and existence (i.e. to check if you’re not a bot). Furthermore, Spotify may use your email address to contact you with news pertaining to your favorite artists and has it on record so that you can recover your password in the (likely) eventuality that you forget it.
In some senses, your email address on Spotify acts the same as a username, so it’s worth making sure it’s correct on your account details.
Why would I want to change my email address on Spotify?
Since having access to an email address is integral to running a Spotify account, you’ll want to update your address any time you change it – i.e. if you set up a new email address which you’re planning to use more often than the last, or if you’ve deleted (or been blocked from) an email account, and need to change your Spotify details to reflect the change.
Whatever your reason for needing to change your email address on Spotify, we’re here to help you do just that. Simply follow our step-by-step tutorials as laid out above and you’ll get the hang of it in no time.
Can I change my email address back if I accidentally changed it?
Of course, though try not to do so too much or you may end up confusing Spotify, or confusing yourself. You’ll need to confirm the newly adopted email address by clicking the link in the email Spotify sends to you when you make each change. Ensure that you do so as soon as you can in order to complete each process.