TikTok is one of the world’s favourite video-sharing and -streaming social platforms, but some of its content is age-sensitive. To use TikTok in the first place, you have to be at least 13 years old, and to access all of its content, at least 18.
To find out how to change your age, see out tutorials below. For all other information, see our FAQs.
Note: We do not condone the falsifying of information, please only change your age if you have input it incorrectly in the first place.
Table of Contents
How to input your age when signing up for a TikTok account
- Download the TikTok app onto your device and open it up
- Tap on the ‘Me’ profile-shaped icon in the bottom-right
- Tap on ‘Sign Up’
- Tap the back arrow, and then tap ‘Use Phone or Email’
- The first question you will be asked is to input your birthday, do so
- Then follow the rest of the on-screen and off-screen confirmation instructions to finish setting up your new profile, with whatever age/birthday you’ve set
How to change your age on an existing TikTok user account
This process is much trickier than the above, and requires legal age verification
- Open up your preferred web browser, and navigate to https://www.tiktok.com/legal/report/privacy
- Fill in the blanks with your relevant account information (ID, etc)
- Under ‘What is your request?’ select the ‘Request information or action about account date’ option by ticking it
- Click ‘Submit’
- In the area for you to ‘Provide details’, state that your age is accidentally incorrect, and that you need to change it. Note also that you can provide proof of your age.
- TikTok’s customer care and support team will contact you at a later date, and you will be required to provide government-backed proof of age documentation (a photograph of your Passport, Driver’s License, or Social Security should be sufficient)
And there you have it. Understandably (and rightly) the process is not an easy one, so do consider both the necessity and the ramifications of attempting to do so, before you do. Thank you for reading. For any other queries or information, see the FAQs below.
Frequently asked questions
What is TikTok?
TikTok is a Chinese-owned video-sharing social networking platform, which allows users to create short, creative videos, often humorous or musical in nature, which they can then upload to be seen by as many people as want to watch it, all around the world. It is fast becoming the most popular social media app of the day.
Why would I want to change my age on TikTok?
Some of the content on TikTok – by its nature and according to the terms and conditions set out by software developer ByteDance – is age sensitive. Furthermore, you need to be at least 13 years old to use the app in the first place. As such, you’ll need to be over a certain age in order to access this content. You may need to change your age to see it. Of course, we must stress that it is not permitted in the terms and conditions of TikTok to lie about your age, and doing so can land you in trouble. Please only change your age if you are correcting an accidental input.
What will happen if I change my age on TikTok?
If you falsify information, you may find that your TikTok account is banned. Since the process to change your age is rather rigorous, it is only worth doing if truly necessary.