The default font for composing and reading emails in Microsoft Outlook is normally set to a small Arial or Calibri font. If this setting makes reading difficult for you, or it simply doesn’t suit your preferences, you can easily change the size of the default Outlook font to a more comfortable option. Here’s how you can change the font size in any version of Outlook:
Changing the default font size in Outlook
To change the default font size in Outlook, simply follow the steps below:
- On the File tab, go to the Options menu.
- Here, select the Mail category on the left-hand side.
Note: If you’re using Outlook 2007 or older, go to Tools > Options > Mail Format.
3. Under the Compose Messages section, select Stationery and Fonts.
4. Now, choose Font under each section that you wish to change:
- New mail messages – Changes the default font in emails.
- Replying or forwarding messages – Changes the font that is used for replying to or forwarding emails.
- Composing and reading plain text messages – Changes the way plain text messages appear to you only. Remember that the plain text messages sent to others will remain in plain text for the recipients.
5. In the Font box for each of these sections, change the size of the font to your preferred setting. You can also choose a different font style and color here.
6. Finally, click OK once to save changes, and then twice more to close the settings.
7. The font size, as well as any other changes you made, will now change automatically.
Changing the font size when reading messages
You also have the option of changing the size of the font in the Reading pane, by using the Zoom feature. Here’s how:
Changing the Zoom level for a single message
In the bottom-right of the Reading pane, use the slider to adjust the Zoom level. As you move the slider, the font size will increase or decrease in the Reading pane.
Changing the Zoom level for all received messages
- To the right of the Zoom slider, click the percentage to open the Zoom window.
- Choose one of the default options (75%, 100% or 200%) or enter a specific percentage number.
- Check the box next to Remember my preference to apply the Zoom level to all messages.
- Finally, click OK to save changes.
Changing the font size when composing messages
You also have the option of changing the font size and format when composing new messages. Here’s how:
- Create a new message, or even reply to a received message.
- At the bottom of the Compose pane, click on Font Size (icon that appears with two letter As of different sizes).
- Finally, simply select the font size you wish to use.
Whether you want to change the default font size, or simply adjust your preferences while composing and reading messages, adjusting the size of the font in Outlook is evidently an incredibly quick and simple process.