When you first get a new Windows device, the default browser is set to Microsoft Edge. Every time you need to search the web that is the only option you will have to use. That can be a problem because almost 50% of all web users in the US use Chrome as their go-to browser and prefer to keep it that way, so it can be a bit of a hassle when you end up having to use an unfamiliar one all of a sudden.
The good news is that you aren’t stuck with the browser your computer comes with, it can easily be changed using a few different ways, but before you do, you need to download the browser of your choice.
Table of Contents
How to download the Google Chrome browser for Windows 10
For this, you will need to use the Microsoft Edge browser that is already installed on your computer.
- Launch it and go to a search engine (the default search engine on Microsoft Edge is Bing, but you can reroute to Google too, the results remain the same).
- Search “Download Chrome” followed by your preferred language (i.e. Chrome Download English) Click on the first search result.
- On the web page that opens you will see a button that says “Download Chrome”, click it.
- A terms and conditions form will appear. Read through the form and accept the terms. It will begin downloading immediately.
- Once it has finished downloading, “Run” the program.
- At this point you will be asked if you want to “let Chrome make changes to your computer”, click “yes” and the Chrome installation will begin.
- Shortly after it will automatically open and take you to the “Welcome Page.”
You have successfully downloaded the Chrome Web Browser.
How to set a new default browser in Windows 10
Now that you have downloaded your preferred browser, there are multiple ways to make it the default browser.
1. Let the browser do it for you
- When you first open your new browser, it will ask you to log in Once you are logged in, another permission will appear asking you if you want to “Make Google Chrome the default browser?”
- Click yes, and it will automatically change your default browser.
2. Do it manually
Sometimes, you don’t automatically get asked if you want to change your default browser. In this case, you will have to do it manually.
- On the bottom left corner of your computer, you will see the window icon. That is the “start menu”. Click on the icon.
- Open the “Settings” by clicking on the gear icon.
- Once you are in Settings, click on “Apps.”
- On the side menu, you will see the “Default Apps” option, click on it.
- Find “Web Browser” and click on it
- It will open a drop-down menu with all the available options. Choose the browser you want to set your default browser to
- Either it will change it without a pop-up, or it will ask you if you want to “Try out Microsoft Edge first” or “Switch anyway.” Click “Switch anyway”.
Your default browser will have been changed successfully.
This method of changing your default browser works even if you wanted to download another browser instead of the Chrome browser. Such as the Firefox or Opera browsers, the steps would remain identical, and you would have to search the name of the browser you want to download and follow the same steps going forward.