VPNs are becoming increasingly popular as the potential for being tracked online increases. You may have been part of the VPN trend to increase your safety while using the internet especially considering the frequency with which we all are using a variety of WI-FI networks for which we may not always be able to verify the source or safety.
Other reasons VPNs are helpful are related to content access, for example, if you are halfway through your new favorite Netflix show when it’s time to go on that holiday to Europe. The first night in your hotel you just want to wind down and relax, but to your horror, you find that your show isn’t available on Netflix where you’ve traveled. Or even worse – Netflix itself is not licensed at all in that country!
That was just an example. However, several services are location-dependent and track your IP address, for you to be able to access their content. With a VPN you can route your traffic through another IP address, provided by the service, and access the content you desire as well as keeping your information safe.
There are many VPN services available and some of the most popular are Nord and Express VPN. Express VPN has held several promotional offers so you may be able to enjoy the service for a lower price. If you are considering this but are uncertain because of a lack of understanding of the cancellation policy, we are here to help. Maybe you’re just shopping around and want to try another service for a while.
Whatever the reason to want to cancel your Express VPN service we’ll go through the procedure here depending on your payment method.
Note that canceling your subscription does not automatically mean that Express VPN deletes your account and data. At the end of the article, we will have an extra section to discuss how to request that Express VPN not only stop charging you but also ensure that they delete your data permanently if this is a concern for you.
Table of Contents
Credit Card or PayPal
Firstly, Express VPN currently offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you have purchased a subscription within the last 30 days and are unhappy with the service, you can contact customer support to cancel the subscription and receive your money back.
If you are outside of this time window and have paid either via credit card or PayPal, follow the steps below to cancel your subscription from the next billing cycle. You can continue using the service as normal until this time even after you cancel so there is no need to delay if you’ve made your decision.
- Sign in to your Express VPN account using the website*
- Select Subscription to see your subscription type and billing date
- Select Manage Subscription Settings
- Turn off automatic renewal under automatic renewal settings and confirm this on the following two pages
- Your subscription is then canceled, and you will not be billed on the next billing date
*you cannot manage your subscription through the app. You can only do it over the website.
Importantly if you are paying via PayPal and using IPN you will need to cancel this in addition to suspending your subscription on the Express VPN website as this is a separate service.
BitPay or Paymentwall
You do not have a rolling subscription if you’ve paid by BitPay or Paymentwall. Your subscription automatically stops at the end of the billing cycle unless you choose to renew it when it runs out.
Permanently Deleting all Your Data
Ok so not only do you not want to pay any more money, but you also want the company to completely forget you were ever a customer? This is your legal right. Follow the steps below to make it happen.
- Use the email you’ve registered with Express VPN
- Compose an email to their customer support from this account ([email protected])
- Make your purpose clear in your title e.g., “Delete Account” “Wish to request account deletion” or similar
- Compose your email detailing your name, that the account in question is attached to the e-mail account you are contacting them from, and request that your account be deleted.
- They should get back to you and confirm when the action is completed