Spotify Family is a Premium plan designed to give people living at the same address each their own Premium Spotify account, paid for and bundled under the one plan. However, once you’ve set up and chosen your Family plan, you then have to add people to it in order for it to cover these other people’s accounts.
To learn how to add people to Spotify Family, follow our tutorial below. For all other information, or if you have further questions, please see our FAQ section at the end of this article.
Note: You technically have to all live at the same address to benefit from Spotify Family. If you do not, then do not select ‘Confirm Location’ during the sign-up process, because this will use your phone’s GPS to determine your location. Instead, enter the address of your family home manually.
Note: You can add people whether they already have a Spotify account or not. If they already have one, this will now be paid for under the Family Plan. If they do not, then they will be invited to create one during the sign-up process.
Table of Contents
How to add people to Spotify Family
- First, sign up for a Spotify Family Premium plan
- Open your preferred web browser and navigate to the Spotify website
- Sign into your current Premium account, and head to your Account page
- Select ‘Premium for Family’ from the menu bar on the left
- Click ‘Get Started’ and then enter your payment details
- Finally, click ‘Start my Spotify Premium’
- You’ll be asked to invite up to 5 other people to join your Spotify Family plan, do so by following the on-screen instructions to send the invitation to your chosen 5’s email addresses.
- Note: If they already use Spotify, make sure you send the invite to the email address associated with their current Spotify account
- If you wish to invite/add people to your Spotify Family later, you can do so by visiting your account page on the Spotify website
- Then, under ‘Manage our family accounts’ click ‘Go’
- Finally, click on an available slot and add an additional user by sending the invitation to them by email (or by any of the other sharing options available)
- The last step is simply for the invited users to follow the links sent to them, and follow the instructions on-screen
And that’s all there is to add people to a Spotify Family plan. If you have any further questions or would like to know more on the subject, please check out our FAQs below.
What is Spotify Family?
Spotify is the world’s leading music streaming service, full of podcast shows and almost all of the world’s recorded music. You can use Spotify for free if you like, but free account holders must, unfortunately, put up with adverts and strict limits imposed on their listening experiences (such as only being able to listen to albums and playlists in shuffle mode).
Spotify Premium (paying) customers, on the other hand, can enjoy the full range of the app’s music listening, customization, and sharing features. Spotify Premium comes in the form of various ‘plans’, each with a different number of people, or target audience in mind. There are plans for students for example, and plans for couples.
Spotify Family is the Spotify plan aimed at families living under the same roof (though could of course extend to groups of friends living under the same roof). It is designed to allow multiple different people to have their own Spotify Premium account, all paid for under one umbrella account.
Why would I want to add people to Spotify Family?
Spotify Family can cover a number of different users, but to do so you first have to add people to your new Spotify Family account. If you don’t do this yourself, the people you want to cover with the Family plan will not be able to join it. They must be invited first.
How many people can you add to Spotify Family?
You are allowed up to 6 Premium Spotify accounts on the Spotify Family plan, enough to cover most average-size families. There are lots of different plans available through Spotify, each with its own perks and each covering a different number of people.
If just you and a friend or partner wish to join forces on Spotify, for example, then the Duo plan is probably a better fit than the Family plan. Shop around and see which one fits your requirements the best.
Can I remove people to Spotify Family if I change my mind?
Of course, but only the originator of the account can do so. In order to remove users from your Family Spotify account, you have to visit the Spotify account page online. You can access this via the desktop app (click your Profile name in the top-right and then click ‘Account’), or directly via a web browser.
Sign in to your Spotify Family account using the credentials you used in the first place to set it up. Scroll down the account page until you find the options to manage your Family account. Click on these and follow the on-screen instructions to invite a new user in place of an existing one (note: only by replacing a user can you remove them).