In addition to Spotify being totally awesome for listening to music, creating playlists and sharing music you have created, it is also really good for sharing music with friends and checking out what they’re enjoying at the moment.
For example, if you spent time at a friend’s house and found yourself really enjoying their “hangout” playlist, you can go to their profile and listen to it if they have made the list public.
Luckily Spotify makes it easy to find and follow friends whether you’re on a computer, iOS, or Android device. They also offer an option to link your Facebook profile, but you might wonder if that comes with following a lot of people on Spotify potentially including your mum’s old Aunt Edna who you simply have no music in common! Seriously, like so uncool. The answer is no, you choose who you follow even after you’ve linked your accounts so nothing to worry about there.
Check out the sections below to find the most suitable way for you to add friends on Spotify and we wish you happy jammin’.
Table of Contents
Adding Friends on a Mobile Device
In this hypothetical scenario, you have just realized you don’t have your best friend on Spotify and so can’t spy on their music taste to make sure you’re picking the right tracks for their surprise birthday party. The party is in two hours and you’re panicking in class (in the near future post-covid world yet to come).
Well simply no need to worry, you’ve got class covered, who needs to worry about that anyway – just pick up your phone and follow the steps below – pst, they still work in any other scenario when you need to add a friend, promise.
- Open the Spotify app
- Presuming you’re logged in you should see three symbols at the bottom of the screen (see picture below). Click on Search (magnifying glass symbol)
- Search for your Friend’s handle (hopefully they have used their real name, or you’ll have to ask…)
- If your friend has a common name you may need to scroll down to “See All Profiles” and tap it
- A page with all profiles with that name will appear, scroll until you find your friend’s profile and click on it
- Under their profile picture is a “Follow” button -> tap here (see photo)
- The statement should change to “Following”
Adding Friends in the Spotify Desktop Application
This is again very easy to do and is very much the same process as above. Just launch the Spotify Application and follow the steps above. The main difference is that the search box is in the top left corner and you’ll be using your mouse to navigate so left-click instead of tap!
Linking Spotify and Facebook Accounts
You can do this either from a mobile device or a desktop.
- Click on the cogwheel settings icon in the top right corner
- Click on your name/ profile photo at the top
- Click on the ellipsis (…) menu in the top right corner
- In the menu that appears select “Find Friends”
- Click connect with Facebook and follow the instructions
- Once you’re linked, you’ll see all your Facebook friends who have also linked their profiles to Spotify and can select to follow the ones you want.
As part of the linking process, you give Spotify permission to post to your timeline – they will never do this without your explicit permission.
On a desktop launch the App, or the web player and follow the steps below:
- Click your profile name
- Select settings
- Scroll until you find the Facebook Section
- Log in with your username and account and follow the instructions on the screen. Your Facebook friends will appear in a list and you can select Follow to all that apply