The desktop version of Google Chrome allows users to add icons to the Chrome homepage, in the form of shortcuts that quickly lead them to frequently visited websites. Many users are quite fond of this feature, as it makes browsing the Internet a much quicker and more convenient process.
And while it would be completely natural to assume the same is applicable to Chrome for Android, adding websites to the Chrome home screen is not such a straightforward process on mobile and tablet devices. Instead, users are left to deal with hacks and workarounds that might not actually yield results for everyone.
Here are some ways users have managed to add websites to the Chrome home screen on Android, which might work for you as well:
- When you open the Google Chrome app on Android, you will most likely be taken directly to the Chrome home screen.
- Here, you will see a list of icons that represent shortcuts to the most frequently visited or even recently visited websites.
- Firstly, remove any unwanted icons by simply long-tapping on them, and then pressing Remove.
- Once you removed all icons, or just enough to create additional space, load the website you would like to add to the Chrome home screen.
- After loading your desired website, close the tab in question, and then open a new one. You should now see the Chrome home screen with the website icon under the search bar.
Note: This method might not work if the website in question is bookmarked.
- Open the Google Chrome app on Android, and then go to the website you would like to add to the Chrome home screen.
- Once the website is loaded, long-press on the Home icon (upper left corner of the browser).
- The shortcut should now be added under the search bar once you open a new tab in Chrome.
Note: Although a quick and simple method, this has only worked for a handful of Google Chrome Android users.
If neither of the two methods mentioned above allow you to add an icon to the Google Chrome homepage, you can always add a shortcut to your desired website to the home screen of your Android device, by following these simple steps:
- Open the Google Chrome app on your device, and the load the website you would like to save to your home screen.
- Once the website is loaded, press the Menu icon (three vertical dots in the upper-right corner of the browser).
- Scroll until you find the option to Add to Home Screen, and then tap it. A pop-up window will now appear.
- Here, you can edit the title of the shortcut, if needed. This is the text that will show up under the shortcut icon on your device’s home screen.
- Next, simply press Add. The shortcut will now appear on your home screen.
Although you might not be able to control the Google Chrome icons manually, there are a few workarounds you could use, or even add them to your device’s home screen, for quick access to desired websites.