For years, many applications had the option of a darker theme which users found particularly helpful, some due to lesser eye strain it allows for, others for the sleeker design it provides. Facebook was admittedly late to the game, only rolling out with the Dark Mode option this year, despite the users asking for this feature for a long while.
However, although Dark Mode is now available to all Facebook users on desktop, this feature is still in trial mode on tablets and mobile phones, meaning that only some users will be able to test it out. If you are one of the lucky ones, here’s how you can activate the Facebook Dark Mode on your Android device, along with some other dark theme solutions:
Table of Contents
Activating Dark Mode in the Facebook app
In case the beta (test) version is currently available on your Android device, you can easily turn on the Dark Mode feature in the Facebook app, with just a couple of quick steps. Here’s how:
- Open the Facebook application on your Android device, and sign in if necessary.
- On the homepage, press the Menu icon (three vertical lines).
- Here, choose the Settings & Privacy option at the bottom.
- If Dark Mode is currently available to you, you will then see the option in this section. Simply tap on it to activate this feature.
Note: If you don’t see the Dark Mode feature in your Facebook settings, this means that the option still isn’t available to you. You can either wait until Facebook rolls this option out for all users, or simply follow one of the methods above as an alternative.
Activating Dark Mode in the Messenger app
If you don’t have the option to turn on Dark Mode for the entire Facebook application, you can always switch to Dark Mode only on the Facebook Messenger app by following the steps below:
- Open the Messenger application on your Android device, and sign in if necessary.
- Tap on your profile picture at the top.
- Here, simply press the switch located next to Dark Mode in order to turn on this feature.
Activating Dark Mode on your Android device
If activating Dark Mode only in the Messenger app isn’t quite enough for you, but you still don’t have the option of doing it in the Facebook application, a good alternative is to change the general theme of your Android device to a dark one. Here’s how you can do it:
- Open the Settings app on your Android device, usually found on the homescreen or in the app drawer.
- From there, go to Display Settings.
- Then, locate the Dark Theme or Dark Mode option, and select it to apply.
Note: On most Android devices, the general dark themes aren’t quite as comprehensive, and might only change the look of certain OS aspects, instead of the entire system appearance.
Even if you don’t have the Dark Mode feature available on your Facebook app quite yet, you can expect it to roll out in the near future, as promised by Facebook. In the meantime, some of the alternatives mentioned above will hopefully be of help.