We hate to be the bearers of bad news, but unfortunately, it’s just not possible to see exactly who has watched your Instagram video. For reasons of privacy and server capacity (see our FAQs for more detail), Instagram does not grant you access to this information.
Thankfully, however, you can see how many people have seen your Instagram videos. To learn how simply follow our tutorials below. For all other information, or if you have further queries, please see our FAQ section at the end of this article.
Table of Contents
- How to see how many people have viewed your video on Instagram (Android/iOS/Desktop app)
How to see how many people have viewed your video on Instagram (Android/iOS/Desktop app)
- On your preferred device, open up the Instagram app, and sign into your profile if not automatically done
- First, head to your profile by tapping your profile icon in the bottom-right of the screen, or clicking your profile-icon in the top-right, and then selecting ‘Profile’ from the drop-down options
- Once on your profile, scroll through your feed to find the video you wish to learn more about, tap or click on it to access it
- You should be instantly able to see the number of people who have watched your video to date, just below the video itself. You’ll see “50 views” for example.
- However, if you’d like to know a little more, you can tap or click on this number, and be taken to the ‘Views and likes’ insights behind the video. Here, you’ll see the number of views at the top, next to the number of likes. The list of users you see below this is the list of people who have liked the video, though of course naturally this is also a sample of who has watched the video, too.
And there you have it! Whilst you may not be able to see who has viewed your video, you can see who has liked it, and how many people have viewed it, whether you’re on an Android, iOS, or desktop device.
If you have any other queries or would like more information, please see our FAQs below.
Why does Instagram not let you see who viewed your video?
Since greater Privacy laws came into effect, with GDPR in the EU and other internet privacy laws around the world, apps like Instagram, Facebook, Spotify, and WhatsApp have had to revise their various settings and user interfaces.
Whilst it might once have been possible to see who followed you on Spotify, this is no longer the case. Whilst once you could see who had viewed your videos on Instagram, you no longer can. The reasons, however, maybe as much to do with server storage as they do with privacy.
Instagram is used by 1.5 billion users a month. That is an almost inconceivable number. It means that around 1 out of every 5 people in the world uses Instagram at least once a month. With so many people using the platform, Instagram has to ensure that its servers have enough space to keep the app up and running and user-friendly. Disabling your ability to see who’s watched your video may have a lot to do with simply saving space!
Why would I want to know who viewed my video on Instagram?
Whilst you can’t see who has watched your video, the quest for this elusive information remains exceedingly popular with Instagram’s content creators. But why? Well, Instagram, like TikTok and Facebook, is being used more and more by entrepreneurs, freelancers, podcasters, and businesses, all looking to expand their reach and find potential audiences and/or customers.
Learning who has viewed your various videos on Instagram might give you a much more detailed insight into the kind of people your videos are attracting, in turn allowing you to better curate and create posts to target the audience you want to reach, rather than the audience you currently are.
Alternatively, of course, you may simply want to know if your best friend is watching your videos like she says she is, or if she’s telling you a little white lie so as not to hurt your feelings!
Can you see who viewed your Reel on Instagram?
Unfortunately not, the same rules apply to Reels as they do to standard Feed/Grid videos.
Can you see who viewed your IGTV on Instagram?
Again, unfortunately not. Just like you can’t see who watched your Feed/Grid videos or Reels, you cannot see who watched your IGTV videos either.